Chapter 8: Us

Mature content inside..

18++++

*****

Zoya stood near the table watching Maya from a distance. Maya was asked for a dance by someone and then one after the other all the men on the dance floor was dancing with her. Zoya’s nose itched. She scratched it. Zoya drank the orange juice in her hand. Zoya tried to look away. She tried to concentrate on everything else except for Maya dancing with someone else other than her. How can she do that? Zoya thought. Maya always said that she loved Zoya but now she is standing alone and Maya do not care at all.
Zoya kept the orange juice down and walked away. Maya noticed Zoya and she immediately let go of her dancing partner and walked towards Zoya. Maya couldn’t understand why Zoya looked sad all of a sudden. She wanted to talk to Zoya. She ran behind Zoya and caught her hand.
Maya: Zoya, what happened?
Zoya: Nothing. I just wanted to pee. That’s all.
Maya let out a breath. Her chest moved up and down. Zoya rolled her fists. She had a sudden urge to kiss Maya and ask her to stop dancing with others and go home with her.
Maya: Okay then, I will wait here. We will go back together.
Zoya: No need. Just leave.
Maya was taken aback. She couldn’t understand why Zoya was acting that way. She thought on the dance floor for a moment that Zoya was sad that Maya was dancing with someone else. Maya had a moment of hope. Then it was all lost. It was stupid of her to think that Zoya would care for what she was doing. Maya’s throat became dry. She wanted to say something but she held back her words and her tears. Maya walked away.
Zoya’s heart broke. She was not able to breathe for a moment. Then she walked in to the bathroom and washed her face with cold water and looked at herself in the mirror. Zoya realized the it was not just the old Zoya Siddiqui but the new one was also hopelessly in love with Maya Mehrotra. Zoya’s eyes teared up by the words that she couldn’t speak up. Zoya was about to walked out of the bathroom when a woman walked towards her. She couldn’t recognize the woman but the woman smiled and she smiled back.
Doctor: Hello Zoya, how are you?
Zoya: I am fine.
Doctor: How is Maya doing now? Did you two talk about it? Are you all right. I didnt get to speak to you and I didn’t want to trouble you as you were recovering.
Zoya: Talk about what?
Doctor: Your child, Zoya. About the miscarriage.
Zoya: What are you talking about? I have never had a miscarriage.
Doctor: It’s not you. Maya had the miscarriage. I think you don’t remember anything about the pregnancy or the miscarriage. Only you both knew about it. Not even your family. Talk to Maya about it Zoya. It’s not good if she carries the pain in her heart alone. She has a very delicate mind. She can be affected by simple things.
Zoya was dumbstruck. Then she remembered the envelope in their cupboard. It was from a hospital.
Zoya took a deep breath.
Zoya: I will definitely talk to her. Thank you doctor. We will come and see you soon.
Zoya walked out of the bathroom as in a daze and she accidentally hit someone and the juice in his hand spilled on his shirt. It was Arshad. Zoya immediately apologized.
Zoya: I am so sorry, Arshad. I didn’t see.
Arshad: It’s okay, Zoya.
Zoya: Let me clean this for you.
Zoya dragged Arshad towards the washroom and started cleaning his shirt. She was tensed.
Maya waited for Zoya for a long time and she was tensed. She wanted to know what had happened and she walked towards the washroom. She opened the door and the sight shook her. Zoya was standing inside the bathroom with Arshad. She was touching him. Maya’s heart broke that moment. She couldn’t hold back.
Maya: Zoya, what are you doing?
Maya’s eyes teared up. She couldn’t believe it. She could never think Zoya being close with Arshad or touching him intimately. Maya lost her breath.
Zoya suddenly looked at Maya. She figured that Maya had misunderstood her.
Zoya: Maya, it’s nothing. I was just.
Maya: I need to go. I will see you later.
Maya ran out of the place and got in to her car and drove off. Zoya ran behind her. She couldn’t catch her. Zoya took a taxi and followed. But Maya had long since left and she couldn’t figure out where Maya would go to. Zoya then asked the taxi driver to go to their home. She had to check the envelope.