Muddy Path 2

Zoya sat near Maya hugging her tight for an hour or more. Maya was crying for a long time and then she calmed. It was like a storm passing over the sea, raising the waves along with it and crashing them over the rocks. Maya kept her head close to Zoya and let herself feel safe in Zoya’s embrace. It had been years since someone had hugged her and sat by her side without counting time, without caring about anything else. Maya felt peaceful and guilty at the same time. She wanted to hug Zoya tight as well as push her away and scream to the air. Maya lifted her head from Zoya’s body and drifted away from her embrace. She wiped her tears with the sleeves of her cloth. Zoya realized that Maya had moved away from her and she opened her eyes in surprise and fear. She had no idea how long it had been since she had come there. Zoya’s phone was somewhere in the room and she hadn’t checked it since her arrival. Zoya looked at Maya in anticipation. Maya kept her eyes low while speaking.

Maya: Zoya, what are you doing here? It's your engagement today. You have to go now.
Zoya: Leaving you here in this situation? How can I do it or even think about it?
Maya: But it’s your life Zoya, your engagement. I am fine now. I will take care of myself.
Zoya: No, you won’t. I won’t let you do this on your own. You are not alone in this Maya. Whatever it is, we will figure it out together.
Maya: Zoya, you don’t understand what you are saying right now. I am in love with you. Do you understand what it means? Do you have any idea?
Zoya: I know what love means. I have been in love. I have gone against my family for love. So how can I hate you for loving me. It’s confusing to me as it is to you. But I don’t hate you for this nor am I going to leave you for this. Now go and freshen up. I will make you some coffee.
Maya: But it’s your engagement. Your family will be worried.
Zoya: I know, I will call and tell them. They would understand. But no matter what, I am not leaving you here like this.
Zoya held Maya’s face and slowly kissed her forehead. Maya was surprised but stayed calm. It felt so good that Maya smiled involuntarily. Zoya smiled at Maya and took her phone from the floor and went out of the room. Maya sat there for some time looking at the path Zoya walked on and later went to freshen up.
Maya went inside the bathroom, turned on the shower and stood below it. The water was cold on her body. It had been a couple of days since she had bathed or changed clothes. She smelled really bad. Maya didn’t remember when she had last eaten, whether it was yesterday or today. Maya was so lost in her thoughts since the last few days that she totally lost the sense of time or place. Her mind was wandering between wanting to be with Zoya so much and not letting herself get anywhere near Zoya.

Zoya was trembling with fear and confusion when she dialed her Abbus’s number. Wassim was tensed and scolded Zoya for disappearing without informing anyone and being late for her engagement. Zoya told Wassim that Maya was not feeling well and she is taking care of Maya and will come home in an hour. Wassim agreed though relentlessly. Zoya was confused about what she should do. She was not ready to leave Maya in that state but there were many who were waiting for Zoya to turn up as earlier as possible for her engagement and making them wait would be a mistake. Zoya couldn’t decide on what she should do at that moment. Sometimes your mind gets entangled in two different decisions that you have to make and when both are equally right, the mind gets confused more and more.

When Maya came back from shower, Zoya was standing in her room with a coffee mug. Maya looked at Zoya and realized that Zoya was wearing her engagement dress and Maya regretted that she had delayed Zoya's engagement. Zoya looked beautiful in the blue lehenga that she was wearing and it was the first time that Maya was seeing Zoya in such a heavy dress. The lehenga had strings of pearls attached to it which touched her angles. Maya felt happy that Zoya had left her engagement for Maya but immediately hated that the thought had come to her mind. Maya walked to Zoya and Zoya offered the class of coffee to Maya. Maya took the mug without looking at Zoya and drank it all. Then she kept the mug on the table and spoke.

Maya: Zoya, you should go now. I am fine. I can take care of myself. You should go get engaged. Everyone would be waiting for you.
Zoya: I will go but when you go to sleep. I have put your phone for charging. Lie down and try to sleep. Once you do that, I will leave.
There was disappointment in Zoya’s voice which Maya caught easily.
Maya: Zoya, it’s not that I hate you, I hate myself and I can’t face you until I figure out what I can do about my feelings. So please go.
Zoya: Fine, I am leaving.
Zoya stopped herself from weeping and walked out of the room and from the apartment. There was so much pain in her heart and she had no idea why it hurt so much. Maya looked at the wall while Zoya walked out of her room and hated herself for letting Zoya leave. The truth was, Maya never wanted Zoya to leave the room or her life, ever.
Zoya reached her home and her Abbu asked her to go and get ready as fast as she could. Zoya ran upstairs to her room. Her Ammi and Noor were waiting for her since long. Zoya went inside and tried to smile at them and sat on the chair. Noor took out the ornaments and Zoya wore them one by one. Zoya’s mind was like the deep-sea. She thought about Maya, about Abbu, Yash and Arshad. She couldn’t decide what she wanted to do. She couldn’t understand what would be the right decision. If she decides to marry Arshad, then she will never be able to see Maya. Arshad will take Zoya to London. Even if she remains here in Mumbai, Maya will keep a distance from her and would never speak to her as she would want to forget all her feelings towards Zoya. That thought scared Zoya, leaving Maya forever. Zoya’s eyes welled up. She was sure that she was not in love with Arshad. But what that she felt for Maya was still a mystery to her. But something had to be done and it had to be done today.

Zoya got up after wearing a chunri over her head and went downstairs. She went towards her Abbu and Arshad. She then looked straight in to her Abbus’s eyes and spoke.
Zoya: Abbu, I don’t want to get engaged.
Everyone was shocked. Arshad who was sitting on the decorated sofa suddenly got up.
Wassim: What are you saying Zoya. We arranged everything after talking to you. Then why are you saying this now.
Zoya: Abbu, I thought I was ready for another relationship but I am not. I am still not ready to get married. And if I agree to get engaged right now, it will be nothing less than forcing myself in to this relationship which I do not want and would only destroy both Arshad and my lives. I have already made enough mistakes in my life and I don’t want to repeat them. I need more time to think about this marriage.
Zoya folded her hands and asked everyone for forgiveness. Arshad was truly hurt but he agreed to what Zoya said and informed that he accepts Zoya’s decision. Arshad and his family left the place. Though most were angry with Zoya but as they knew about what had happened in her life, they thought what she did was right.
After Arshad’s family left Wassim Siddiqui sat on the chair and his eyes welled up. Zoya sat down next to him and apologized to her Abbu. He didn’t speak to her but he kept his hand on top of her head and gave his blessing to her and got up and walked to his room. Zoya called her Abbu and he didn’t turn back. Zoya wiped her tears and ran upstairs and Noor followed her.

There were a few people who were standing and talking outside Zoya’s house. Among them was a person who stood and watched everything that was happening around her. Maya felt as though her soul had left her body when Zoya walked out of her room. She had no idea that she loved Zoya to that extend to follow her to her home to convince her to break the engagement with Arshad. It was total madness and made no sense but Maya felt as though she was suffocating and only Zoya’s presence could keep her alive. Maya drove her car faster than she had ever done before to reach Zoya but when she reached Zoya’s house, Maya learned that Zoya had already broken the engagement with Arshad. Maya was shocked. She went numb for a few moments. Maya should have felt sad for her friend but what she felt was a relief. The kind that made her eyes well up and a smile to appear on her lips after a very long time.

 The kind that made her eyes well up and a smile to appear on her lips after a very long time

Amrutha