Chapter 16: Seatbelt

Maya sat on a chair near the bar counter. She was annoyed. It was a party arranged by one of Zoya’s clients and Zoya wanted Maya to accompany her. But at the last-minute Zoya got a call from her office and she went there. By then Maya had already reached the party.

Maya hated sitting alone. Many were dancing under the lights and a couple of guys had asked Maya for a dance to which she politely disagreed. Maya ordered a Tequila shot and drank it. She was about to order another one when she saw Zoya walking in to the hall. She was wearing a red color dress which was not hers. Zoya had either bought it on her way here or someone might have gifted it to her. In any of the cases, Maya was not aware of it. Zoya walked in to the party and a man followed her. It was her client. He was a business man and had a tie up with Zosh events as he was very spontaneous about throwing parties and needed an event management company to help him out.

Zoya walked towards Maya smiling with her childlike innocence and Maya smiled back at her. Maya was trying to get up when Mr. Mehta walked towards Zoya and asked her hand for a dance. Maya got slightly angry but she kept calm. It had been a month since Arjun had come to her home and it took days for Zoya to get over her sadness. So Maya wanted Zoya to be happy and lighthearted but something inside her was burning furiously. Maya watched Mr. Mehta leading Zoya to the dance floor. Zoya had told his first name but Maya never cared to remember. He was young and good looking and rich and all of it irritated Maya so much and Maya couldn’t comprehend the reason behind it. Maya sat at the counter and Zoya looked at Maya and waved her hands. She didn’t look happy. Mr. Mehta held Zoya at her waist and pulled her closer and Maya wanted to break the tequila bottle on his head but she stayed calm. Maya was burning inside when someone from the crowd came up and asked her.

‘Would you like to dance?’

Maya: Of course, I would love to. But definitely not with you.

Maya gave a smile and the person walked away. Zoya was dancing with Mr. Mehta and Zoya looked so beautiful in red dress and Maya immediately regretted that she had never bought Zoya a dress.

Zoya was very excited when she heard about the party. She wanted to go with Maya. They hadn’t gone out in days as Maya had flown to Mauritius for a shoot. Zoya hated all those days. Though Maya had asked Zoya to accompany her, she couldn’t go as there was an event for her. When Zoya heard about Mr. Mehta’s party she was so happy and readily agreed and asked Mr. Mehta if she can bring Maya as well. Zoya was dressed in a blue salwar and was going to the party when she got a call from Atul Mehta who asked her to come to Zosh. Zoya was tensed and went there as fast as she could but upon reaching there she understood that he only wanted to give her a dress for the party. Zoya felt awkward but she accepted it to be polite. She wore it and he offered to drive her to the venue and she agreed to it as well. When Zoya walked in to the party and saw Maya sitting there right next to the counter and as she knew that Maya was waiting for her, Zoya’s heart was uplifted and a smile came on her lips.

Maya was like the air, when you breathe it you won’t even know it actually exists but when you are devoid of it, you will suffocate. Zoya wanted to grab Maya’s hand and run to the end of the horizon and that’s when Atul asked Zoya to dance with him. Zoya couldn’t say no as he was always nice to her. Atul held Zoya’s waist and she felt uncomfortable. Not just that she was not liking the proximity, it was also that Maya was sitting there. Zoya could sense Maya’s displeasure.

After the dance Zoya walked towards Maya and Maya was getting ready to leave. She was furious at Atul for touching Zoya. She kept on saying to herself that it was fine but she couldn’t control the anger that was rising in her.

Zoya: Maya, let’s go. I think it’s getting late.
Zoya wanted to spend some lone time with Maya and the party didn’t suit the purpose. She wanted to go for a long drive or for a walk in a park.
Maya: Yes, Zoya, I will drop you at home.
Maya smiled widely. But her smile didn’t last long. Atul interrupted the conversation.
Atul: Hi Maya, I am Atul Mehta. I think you might have heard my name.
Maya shook his hands and tried to smile.
Atul: If you don’t mind, may I drop Zoya home. She came with me. I feel it’s my responsibility to drop her back.