Chapter six: Falling for you

Zoya woke up early that day. She found Maya laying next to her. Maya was fast asleep snuggling in to Zoya’s hair again. Zoya laid down for some more time watching the sleeping Maya. Zoya raised her hand and softly touched the outline of Maya’s face. Her nose, her lips, her eyes. They were all perfect. Maya looked like a model even when she was sleeping with her dishevelled hair and pyjamas. Zoya smiled. Suddenly, her heart started beating faster and there was strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. She had no idea what it was. Zoya hastily closed her eyes and tried her best to go back to sleep.

****

Zoya was getting ready to go back to office. She searched her wardrobe and was not able to find anything that she liked. The Zoya that she was had a very strange wardrobe preferences. Zoya stood in her room wearing a thin towel. Water was dripping from her hair and her body. She was alone in the room. Zoya then took out her phone and checked her recent pics where she was wearing few of the dresses in her wardrobe. She looked how she was in them and chose to go with a yellow salwar. Zoya smiled thinking about the colour yellow and then she was reminded of Maya. She opened her phone again and looked at Maya’s pics in it. Then she had that feeling again. A sudden fire in the pit of her stomach. Zoya felt a lot shy and she kept the phone down and hugged herself tight. She walked towards the door and checked if it was locked correctly. Then she took out the salwar and wore it. She dried her hair and started wearing the accessories. It was then that Maya knocked the door.
Maya: Are you done, Zoya?
Zoya: Yes, just one minute.
Zoya immediately went ahead and opened the door. Maya got in and looked at Zoya for a while.
Maya hadn’t seen Zoya dressed up in a long time. It had been more than three months since Zoya had wore any accessories or put on any make up. The last time Maya had taken Zoya to the office, Zoya was wearing a normal pink salwar with no accessories or make up. She still looked beautiful but today, she looked different. She looked happy and lively. Maya smiled.
Maya: So, you are going to office today?
Zoya: Yes, I am.
Maya: Would you wait for just half an hour? I will get ready and come. I will take you there.
Zoya: Yes. I was going to ask you.
Maya was in shock.
Maya: Really?
Maya couldn’t figure out Zoya these days. She sometimes laid on the far end of the bed but sometimes she came close to Maya and made her read novels aloud. Sometimes she ate alone and sometimes fed Maya whatever that she got from her mother.
Maya: Wait.
Maya took her towel and ran to bathroom. After sometime Maya walked out in her bathrobes. Zoya took out her phone and started checking photos and videos to stop herself from looking at Maya. Maya checked the clothes and took out business casuals. She took her bathrobe off.
Zoya: Maya what are you doing? I am sitting right here. Stop. Let me go out now.
Maya: I am sorry. Anyway, we have seen each other naked many times. You can just close your eyes now if you want.
Zoya’s face became pink. She coughed and suddenly closed her eyes. Maya smiled widely and she couldn’t control herself and started laughing. Zoya peeked a bit. She looked at Maya changing her clothes. Maya was slimmer and taller than Zoya. Her waist could be held in a hand. But her back and breasts where round and full. A perfect figure. Zoya gulped. She could feel acidity in her stomach again. She coughed again and when Maya turned around, she immediately closed her eyes.
Maya: What happened, Zoya? Do you want water?
Zoya: No, just finish dressing now.
Zoya raised her voice and Maya was taken aback.
Maya: Okay. I will do it fast.
Zoya closed her eyes. After getting ready Maya and Zoya ate breakfast and left the house in Maya’s car. Zoya sat next to her and didnt say a word. Maya wanted to start a conversation.
Maya: It always used to be you who would chatter non stop when we are together. You never stop. You will always have at least ten new things to tell me.
Zoya adjusted her dress and looked at Maya.
Zoya: What do I talk about?
Maya: Anything and everything. You talk a lot. A lot like you talk at least 16 hours a day to me.
Zoya: That’s literally impossible.
Maya: Maya, I did exaggerate it a bit.
Zoya laughed. Maya heart stopped for a moment. Maya looked at Zoya.
Maya: Tell me before you are about to do something like that again.
Zoya: What? What did I do?
Zoya looked at Maya innocently. Maya smiled.
Maya: Nothing.
Maya continued driving.

****

Zoya was busy in her office. She didn’t understand many things at first. Then she slowly started understanding her line of work. Her staff were friendly and jovial. Zoya smiled and enjoyed her time. But something was missing. Maya hadn’t called her whole day, like whole day! Zoya couldn’t believe it. Even when she was in her home, Maya used to call her at least once everyday from office. Today, she hasn’t. Zoya’s hands itched to dial Maya’s number. But she didnt. She kept her phone away and continued working.
Zoya thought of having lunch and got up from her chair and walked out of the office to the cafeteria downstairs. She was about to stand on the escalator that her legs slipped and she almost fell. But someone pulled her up and Zoya fell on the person. Zoya’s heart started beating fast. She thought that she was going to fall. But she didnt. Zoya softly opened her eyes to see Maya below her. Zoya suddenly got up. Maya adjusted her clothes and got up as well. Maya was tensed and scared.
Maya: What the hell was that Zoya? Why are you so careless? You would have fallen and would have been hospitalized now. Do you like hospitals that much?
Maya looked at Zoya and suddenly she realised that she shouldn’t have shouted. Zoya was almost in tears. Maya’s heart broke. She almost raised her hand to touch Zoya’s face.
Zoya: I am sorry. I didnt mean to be careless. It’s just that, I don’t remember going on an escalator before. So I got a bit scared. I am sorry.
Zoya started crying. Maya didn’t know what to do. She softly touched Zoya’s shoulder and Zoya suddenly hugged Maya tight and fell on her chest and cried. Maya was stunned for a moment. She didnt know what to do. Then she softly hugged Zoya.
Maya: I am so sorry, Zoya. I didnt mean to make you sad. Please calm down. Maya softly caressed Zoya’s hair. Zoya took deep breaths and her tears fell on Maya’s body. Zoya didn’t break free even after a long time.
Zoya felt comfort while hugging Maya. She thought that she almost fell and this time she was sure that she wont survive. But then Maya came and pulled her towards her. Zoya saw the thin line between life and death in her life. It somehow brought back a few memories. Some blurry memories. Zoya trying to cut her veins, someone pushing her down from a building. Her car being smashed by a bigger vehicle. The fear was unbearable and she broke down. Zoya hugged Maya tight. She just wanted to stay like that. Zoya didn’t know why, but Maya’s warmth made her feel better.
After sometime Maya softly let get of Zoya and moved away. Zoya felt a gush of chill in her stomach. She looked at Maya in confusion.
Maya: Let’s go to your cabin.
Maya took out a handkerchief and gave it to Zoya. Zoya looked at Maya blinking her tear filled eyes. Maya walked forward and started wiping Zoya’s tears away. Zoya’s heart started beating fast. Zoya took the handkerchief from Maya.
Zoya: Thank you.
Maya then bend down and took the box of KFC she had brought with her.
Maya: It might be cold now. Do you want to eat from downstairs?
Zoya: No, I will eat this.
Maya had thought of giving some space to Zoya and didnt talk to her the whole day. But then she couldn’t do it anymore and she bought a box of chicken and went to meet Zoya.
Zoya gently walked towards Maya and took the box from her and held it in one hand and then forwarded her hand to Maya.
Zoya: Maya, would you be my friend?
Maya was stunned but she was happy. Maya replied.
Maya: Yes, yes.
Maya shook her head many times with a smile on her face.
Zoya smiled widely.
Zoya: Come, let’s eat then.
Maya smiled and followed Zoya quietly holding her urge to hug and kiss Zoya a hundred times.

Amrutha

****

So it's double treat..the last two chapters are coming this week..💕