The Kids Aren't Alright (I)

Brendon
I knew something was wrong as soon as I saw Emily's name pop up on my phone. I had the kids enter their numbers and I'm glad I did. My heart nearly stopped as I answered it and put the phone to my ear. "Hello?"I asked, my voice steadier than I felt. "Brendon. Hey, yeah. We have a problem. We were turning a street corner and some guy grabbed Ryleigh,"Emily said quickly.

"Is she okay? Are all of you okay?"I panicked, my heart in my throat. "No, she's currently unconscious. I think he used chloroform. She's alive, though. We're running to Adam's house,"she relayed. "Where's he at? I'm coming,"I said. "Adam, what's your address?"she asked and relayed it to Brendon. The call ended and I ran through the party to find Sarah.

"We have to go now!"I said urgently and quietly as I tried to pull her away. Everyone was giving us weird looks but I would tell them later. We didn't have time right now. "What? Bren, why? We just got here,"Sarah said with worry in her voice. "Ryleigh is unconscious,"I managed to choke out in a whisper. Her eyes widened and she grabbed my hand.

She pulled me through the party with a ridiculous speed and we ran down the street to our car. She climbed in the driver's street and gunned it. I was in shock still. "Where're we going, Bren? Talk to me,"Sarah said as she glanced worriedly in my direction. "Adam's house,"I said. She gave me a weird look and I plugged the directions into my phone as we sped down streets.

We passed a ton of cop cars and knew that must've been the attacker or attempted kidnapper. My heart was in my throat the whole time. I only hoped she was okay. I was getting as sick of hospitals as she was. I was pretty out of it and I had only had one beer. Not near enough to get me drunk or passing out but I sure felt as if I was going to.

Sarah pulled to a quick stop outside of Adam's house. We both jumped out and slammed the car doors closed as we ran to the front door. We saw someone peek out and then come to let us in. It was Melissa. Emily, Charlie and Adam must be with Ryleigh.

"Where is she?"I breathed out in a panic. I felt as if I couldn't breathe. "In here,"Melissa gestured and ran that direction with Sarah and I on her trail. Ryleigh was laying on a bed which I assumed was Adam's.

"Ryleigh?"I whispered close to her ear as I stroked her hair. Her eyelids fluttered. "Mr. Urie, you may wanna step back. She'll probably come up swinging,"Adam said. He hasn't spoken much before. In fact, I don't think he's ever spoken to me directly. I took a step back with a nod. "Please, Adam, call me Brendon,"I spoke quietly. He nodded and we all watched as Ryleigh slowly came to.

I was glad I moved like Adam suggested. I watched as Ryleigh came up swinging at the air where I was just standing. She sat up. "Ry, Baby girl, you're okay. You're safe now,"Sarah said as she approached Ryleigh's left side and Ryleigh broke down in tears.

"No, no, baby. Don't cry. It's okay,"she said as she hugged Ryleigh close and rocked her side to side while stroking her hair softly. "D-D-Dad,"she choked out in a sob. "I'm right here,"I said as I moved to her side. She was squished between Sarah and I as we hugged her until she calmed down. She started to pull away, no longer crying.

"I'm sorry,"she sighed. "You have no reason to be sorry. It's okay, Ryleigh,"I reassured her. She looked away. Adam, Emily, Charlie, and Melissa ran up to her to hug her as we stepped back. She was no longer shaking like a leaf as she realized she was safe now.

We walked downstairs after awhile and was about to walk out the door. Adam pulled on my sleeve. I stopped and nodded for Sarah to go ahead and take Ryleigh to the car. She was still a little shaken up and she looked super tired. They walked down the path. Once out of earshot, I turned back to Adam.

"I'm still worried about her, please keep a close eye on her,"Adam whispered to me, insistently. "I will,"I nodded. I was wondering where this was coming from. "Brendon, she didn't fight it. When he grabbed her, she just gave in to him,"Adam said, looking at the floor. I turned away then because I was afraid I would cry.

Was she no longer happy? Why the hell wouldn't she fight it? I walked to the car as Adam shut the door behind us. I climbed in the passenger seat next to Sarah. Ryleigh was curled in on herself in the backseat as she watched out the window.

Adam's house disappeared from view as we turned the corner. She stayed silent the whole time and avoided my gaze as I glanced in the rearview mirror at her. Was I not a good enough parent? What was I doing wrong? We went inside our house. I would call Pete later to explain why we left so suddenly. Ryleigh tried to go upstairs.

"Ry, wait!"I called after her. She wordlessly turned around to face me. Her expression was one of numbness and sadness though she tried to hide it. "Are you okay?"I asked first. I didn't want to pressure her to talk to me but I needed to know what was going through her mind. "Yeah, fine, dad. Why?"she asked as she stared at the floor. "Ryleigh, don't lie to me, please,"I begged.

She wouldn't meet my gaze. "I'm not, geez, dad. Why won't you believe me? I'm just tired, I'm going to bed,"she said icily and turned on her heel to continue up the stairs. She ran up the rest as if she didn't want to be stopped. I stood frozen in the doorway, wondering what the hell just happened. Sarah came up and hugged me from behind. I needed to get to the bottom of this.