Kids In The Dark

Ryleigh
I opened my gifts. I'd received some guitar picks and merch of each of the bands. I also got some flannels and jeans. The last one almost made me cry. They'd gotten me a fender Stratocaster guitar. Alex, Jack, Mike, Frank, and Dad promised to help me learn.

Zack was still smiling at me. I nervously tucked my hair behind my ear and shyly smiled back. We were sitting cross legged side by side. He gently nudged my leg and I bumped his back. I slid my hand secretly between us and he met me halfway. His fingers slid perfectly between mine and for a moment I forgot to breathe.

I was afraid of what Dad would think. I mean, he's usually chill but I'm his daughter and I don't wanna stress him out right now. Zack gently squeezed my hand. I did the same thing and took a small deep breath in.

"Well, we have food,"Tyler announced as he stood with Jenna who was helping him with preparation and setting food out. Everybody nodded and began going to the kitchen. Zack and I waited behind. I glanced up at him curiously. He stood then helped me up. There's an archway before the hallway that leads to the kitchen and dining area. "Look,"he said and pointed above our heads. I looked up. "Mistletoe,"I whispered in astonishment. I looked up into his teasing hazel eyes as our heads bent closer. "Zack, where are you at dude?"Jack called from somewhere else. It caused me to jump and my head bumped into Zack's. We both started laughing.

"I guess that's our cue,"he said. I nodded and squeezed his hand one last time before we walked to the dining room. He held the door for me, seeing as I still had my crutches. Mom raised an eyebrow at me and I attempted a shrug but instead dropped a crutch before proceeding to trip on the rug. I was about to fall and couldn't get my balance. I fell right into Zack's arms again. I fell breathless as I looked up into his stunning eyes.

He steadied me as Rian rushed to hand me the crutch I'd dropped. I sat across from Dad, Mom, Dallon, Gerard, Pete, and Tyler. Zack sat next to me and Josh on my other side. Zack gently rubbed circles into my hand. I excused myself after managing to eat more than a bite of food. I felt slightly sick but I remembered the pill so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been.

I crutched outside. Dad still didn't know about my eating disorder. Tyler served me little but enough to keep away prying suspicions. I was tired of being such a problem child. I wanted to get better and damn was I trying so hard to. I got outside onto the porch then carefully held my breath as I lowered myself down. I didn't hit my leg. "Are you okay?"someone asked behind me. I jumped a mile high and attempted to turn around as they came closer.

"It's okay, it's just me,"the voice, I now recognized as Zack's, spoke beside me. I looked up at him. He lowered himself down next to me. "Mind if I join you?"he asked. "Up to you,"I said and glanced at the stars. I could see the Milky (a/n: my phone almost corrected this to Mikey Way and I found it hilarious) Way and The Big Dipper.

Suddenly, a shooting star passed overhead. "Did you see that? It was beautiful,"I said excitedly. "Sure did,"he replied and I looked over to find him facing me. My eyes glanced down at his lips as I bit mine. His green eyes met mine with a question. Our heads inched closer as his hand rested on mine gently. My eyes closed. I could feel his breath on my lips. I finished the last of the distance. He kissed me softly and tenderly.

It was the most wonderful thing I'd ever felt. Warmth and fireworks shot through me as our lips collided. I didn't want it to end and was losing myself to him. He was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. Suddenly, I broke away, gasping for breath.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?"Zack asked panicked. I nodded and leaned my forehead against his with a small smile on my lips. "Can we take it slow?"I whispered my plea. He nodded and closed his eyes. His hand rested gently on my cheek as our breath mixed together under the chilly air of the night sky.

******
Zack
I don't know what it was about this girl but she drove me crazy. I'd only really seen her that time outside of the hospital when she was a mess but she was still beautiful. I envied Alex for that every day but then we collided at the mall and I couldn't let her go again.

She was always on my mind so when I was asked to come I didn't think twice. I'd stayed close to her all day and I hated how I'd be returning to Baltimore for awhile before tour when the label was done with me. That first kiss didn't work out but the second was absolutely amazing. She had me around her little finger. She could get whatever she wanted.

******

Ryleigh
I didn't know what Dad would think but at this moment I was happy and calm. Zack and I sat like that for a long time. Neither of us wanted to break the silence. "I know that I'm going to have to return to Baltimore once the label is done with me here and then we go on tour but if you want then I promise we'll make this work,"Zack said softly. I nodded. "I want this, I want you,"I whispered looking into his eyes. His lips found mine again and no feeling could ever replace what I felt with him. We eventually decided to return inside to everyone else. I was going to get better. I had to for him. Things were finally starting to feel okay again.