If You Can't Hang

Ryleigh
I was so tired, more tired than I realized. I finished the movies and was about to start watching The Greatest Showman for the hundredth time when I drifted off to sleep in Dad's arms. We were curled up on the floor, in front of the couch on billions of blankets and pillows from my room and the spare room. When I woke up, I felt absolutely awful.

My throat hurt something terrible. I stayed laying down and looking at my phone when dad woke up. "Good morning, babygirl,"dad said. "Morning,"I croaked out in a gross and raspy sound. Dad cocked his head at me and raised an eyebrow. It really hurt so I didn't speak again but shrugged my shoulders instead.

Dad stood and went to get mom. They returned together and mom had a thermometer. She felt my forehead then had me place the thermometer in my mouth. It beeped moments later and she looked at it. It read 102.5. I had a fever. They both looked worried. I hadn't gotten sick yet but when I do I tend to get seriously sick.

I climbed onto the couch while dad decided to run to the store for some popsicles after we decided that food would hurt too much. Mom sat with me and gently ran her fingers over my head and through my hair. It felt so nice. I curled up with my head on her lap and a blanket pulled over me. I watched the TV wordlessly while The Fault In Our Stars played.

I hadn't watched this one yet though I had always wanted to. Dad came in bearing a shopping bag. In it, he had bought orange, purple, and red jello. He also bought me some grape fruit popsicles. He also had lemon and orange Gatorade. I sucked on a popsicle while finishing the movie. Dad brought me a cup of orange Gatorade with a straw.

He went back to the kitchen to make a call while I finished the movie. It made me cry. I never thought it would've ended like that. Mom decided to get up to go let the dogs back in so I stayed curled on the couch. I think they were also debating whether or not to take me to an urgent care or a doctor of sorts. I scrolled through Netflix and started to watch A Dog's Purpose.

Halfway in, I paused it to the sound of the front door opening. I couldn't call out. I heard someone talking but couldn't decipher who's voice is was. A minute later I was joined by Tyler, Josh, Gerard, Frank, Mikey, Dallon, Pete, Patrick, Joe, Andy, and Mike.

"How're you feeling, Ry?"Tyler asked as he came in and put my head in his lap. I shrugged. He pushed a whiteboard and marker into my hands. I tried to keep my hoodie sleeves down over my hands to keep the bandages from last night hidden. "I got this so you could communicate with us,"Tyler said, looking down at me. "Thank you,"I wrote. "No problem,"he said and shrugged. Josh and Dallon sat at my feet with my legs over theirs.

"What are you watching?"Josh asked. "A Dog's Purpose,"I scrawled messily. "Cool, cool. I've heard it's good but I've never watched it,"Josh said. With that, I started the movie again. Awhile later, mom came in and pushed a jello cup into my hands. I wasn't that hungry but I knew I should eat. Tyler helped me sit up and I leaned into his arm while I ate my jello. Everyone else was scattered around the room. Pete, Patrick, Joe, and Andy finished the movie and then told me that they had to go. I think they were going to start working on a new album.

"Wanna play board games? I'm getting tired of movies,"I wrote. They all exchanged a look. Tyler shrugged and went to find a board game. Dad was in the studio and I think mom wanted to give me some time alone with our band family and friends. I climbed down onto the blankets on the floor with mine still wrapped tightly around me. My fever was gone but I still couldn't talk or eat actual foods.

Tyler returned with Monopoly. We all crowded around the board and decided to do teams. One team was Tyler and Josh. Another was Gerard and Frank. Dallon and Mike paired off which left me and Mikey to a team. "Let's kick some ass!"I wrote. He nodded and actually broke his poker face to smile. Mom came in to be the banker. My throat was hurting less and less as time wore on.

******

We were halfway through the second game of Monopoly. Mikey and I won the last round but they claimed we cheated because mom was the banker so we played another round. We were still ahead but barely. "No fair!"I shouted. "All's fair in love and Monopoly,"Josh said competitively with a smirk.

"No, you shitty arse!"I said back a bit quieter because, although I could talk, shouting hurt my throat. He feigned hurt for only a moment before turning back to the game. I handed him the 200 dollars I owed him for landing on his place.

I sighed as I glanced down at mine and Mikey's pile of money that kept slowly decreasing. If we stopped landing on everyone else's land then we would be fine. Suddenly, Frank yelled out. "Awh, bloody fucking hells!"he yelled as he angrily reached for his and Gerard's money. I widen my eyes and looked at him innocently.

"What was that, Frankie?"I asked. He mumbled in response. "Hmm?"I asked. "Fuck, fuck, fuck,"he whispered under his breath. "Language!"Mom finally yelled. I fell back and started laughing my ass off. He landed on my place which was unfortunate for him because it had four houses on it. He owed us $1,151 which is more than he had so he and Gerard were out.

"Thanks so much, please come again,"I said as I took the money from him. I wiped away a few tears from laughing so hard. He pouted which caused me to start again.

Dallon and Mike were up next. Dallon rolled and landed on go to jail. "Awh, shucks,"Dallon said as he moved their piece to the jail. Just Mikey and I against Tyler and Josh. It didn't take very long before Josh moved to one of our pieces of landed. "Oh shit!"Josh said and promptly received a smack on the head from Tyler.

"Ow! What was that for?"Josh asked while rubbing the back of his head. "Language!"I shouted and giggled. Josh shot a fake glare my way. As he stopped rubbing his head, Tyler smacked him again. "What?"Josh asked clearly irritated. "That was for losing the game, you big oaf!"Tyler joked and handed over their money. I high fived Mikey and then we hugged. Victory was a sweet, joyous thing and it was quite beautiful at that.