Chapter 19

Emery's unconscious twiddle of her ring drew Nicholas's attention to the expensive diamond

His fist tightened around the wheel and he wanted nothing at that moment than to slide the damn thing off her finger.

Parking his car on the rough road across the glade, Nicholas pried off his seatbelt and turned in his seat to face Emery.

"Look at me," he seethed. In hesitancy, Emery glanced his way.

"You told me you were to act like this Billion guy's girlfriend, in exchange for the money you needed for Chris's operation right?"

Emery nodded stiffly. That was her version of the truth she had told him after all.

"Then why is it all over the news that you two are getting married? Was that part of the deal as well?" Nicholas demanded.

"I'm sorry," Emery muttered, looking away out of abashment.

"Fuck this! You lied to me about the true extent of this contract, didn't you?!" Nicholas accused.

"I wasn't allowed to tell you anything, Nick. But, believe me, nothing is going on between Billion and me outside the deal. It's all false and after six months, we're over," Emery defended.

"Anything can happen in the span of six months, Emery! You've been lying to me ever since that rich brat came along!" Nicholas scurried out of the car after his outburst, and slammed the door shut.

Emery flinched at the loud bang but made no attempt to go after him. She took in a couple of deep breaths and watched him as he paced in front of the car like some deranged person.

Seconds later, Nicholas rounded the car to her side and yanked her door open. "Come with me," he intoned.

Emery bit her lips, hesitant to go anywhere or be alone with him but she was alone with him. She stepped down and straightened her skirt which had ridden up from the long minutes of sitting.

Nicholas seemed to have calmed down for the time being since he took her hand gently this time, and led her through the glade—where they spent their one year anniversary.

The memories were vivid and Emery recalled her excitement while they toured the city. He had come back home from college just to spend time with her on their anniversary.

She smiled in resignation when she reminisced of her Victoria secret shopping with Natalia the day before Nichols's arrival.

They had bought some naughty feminine stuff and Emery had prepared herself mentally and physically, ready to take their relationship to the next level.

But unfortunately, her mother called her to pick them up as their car had broken down on their way back from Church.

The young couple's evening rendezvous was completely ruined. That was the last time Emery saw Nicholas one-on-one since the latter had to go back to college the next day.