Chapter 48

It was one hell of a birthday party at kissit last night but Miles wouldn't have had it any other way. 

After all it was his last night in Milan, and what better way to spend it than share a drink with his loved ones. 

But now here he was, wandering his bedroom in a haste to get ready for his flight. 

Even though his father had completed his physiotherapy session and was back on his feet, Miles knew the strength had left his old man, and the least bit of pressure would send him back to that hospital bed or worse, somewhere beyond reach. 

That was why he agreed to leave for Illinois in his father's stead, to oversee one of the company's ongoing projects. 

He was more than ecstatic to travel down there since the distance was not far from home. 

It was then settled that after he wraps things up in Chicago, he could go back to New York. 

So to make sure nothing holds him back again, Miles had his luggage sent to Manhattan and kept only a bag for this trip. 

In a few weeks, he will be back home and hopefully, the time will be right by then. 

With his time wasted in bed in an attempt to soothe his hangover, he skipped breakfast after dressing up and double-checked his briefcase to make sure he had not left any important stuff behind. 

He was not coming back to Milan anytime soon. 

He was still leafing through the briefcase when he saw a familiar white envelope. The DNA test result. 

He flipped the envelope open and pulled out the folded white sheet. 

Index of paternity 0%

Possibility of paternity 0%

Probability of paternity is 0%

Among the incomprehensible scientific terms, that was what Miles could make out since the letter arrived weeks ago. 

And his heart never fails to do its silly victory flip whenever he reads the results. 

Miles cussed when he had a glimpse of time. He shut the briefcase and hurried out of the bedroom. But not before giving the suite a last glance. 

Despite his antagonism when he arrived at the estate months ago, he would surely miss the place. 

Especially the food. 

Though there had been a farewell party for him yesterday, he left a note on the fridge for his parents who were still in bed before leaving for the airport with Amedeo. 

It was one hell of a long flight to Chicago, Illinois. 

He slept the day away after devouring a palatable breakfast served by the crew, and he was glad he did so because, by the time a flight attendant knocked on his suite to announce their arrival, his body ache was nonexistent.

It was a hot sunny day in Chicago when the Dekkers private jet landed at Midway International Airport. 

Miles was welcomed at the airport by a management team of five. They checked in at Sofitel, a plush hotel in downtown Chicago and he got to know the team members over dinner. 

· · • • • ✤ • • • · · 

It took fifteen good weeks for the business expedition to come to a successful end. 

And after weeks of demanding work-days and lonely nights, the long wait came to an end this morning. 

Without delay, Miles packed for his trip back home and ended up spending the entire afternoon in his suite, musing.