Chapter 45

After spending half of the night drafting premium policies and doing other paperwork, Emery's morning wasn't so bright with the lack of sleep

Two weeks behind that magnificent desk and she couldn't afford to be tardy. The fact that the company did not pay for maternity leave meant working extra hard to save something up for her impending double life.

So whenever the weariness sets in, the love for her little one and the zeal to secure a living for both of them kept her going.

Today was another booked work day and without charge, she was awake five minutes on the dot before her digital clock could do its work.

With quickness, she began her morning routine. This basically goes from stuffing down a bowl of cereal to a series of prenatal morning yoga. After which she would whip up a wholesome sandwich and protein shake for lunch, and clean up around the house.

With all said and done, she would wash up, get dressed and head to the office—by eight forty.

And today was no exception apart from the fact that she was running late by the time she was done with her chores, and yet still couldn't decide on an outfit.

Stood before the floor-length mirror, Emery gave her high waist skirt a once over, her lips twitching back and forth as she contemplated on whether to go with the soft burgundy pleat or go for an office pant.

"As long as you're comfortable down there, Princess, let's begin another interesting day." she grabbed her handbag and headed out of the bedroom.

Locking up her apartment, she took the elevator down and quickly sent Janina a text when she didn't see her roommate's car outside.

Ever since Janina told her who lives in the condo across from their block, Emery had been low-key spying on the similar brownstone building to satisfy her own curiosity.

So habitually, she took a peek at the flat as she walked over to her car, but none of its inhabitants had the semblance of her tall, dark and handsome high school friend.

It's probably someone else.

As a new self-rule, Emery connected her phone to her car's stereo, and sang along every girl power song under the sun while she drove to work. This forbade her mind from lingering and helped to kill boredom whenever there was a traffic jam.

But by the time she got to the office, she was seven minutes late due to the rush hour on such a busy Friday morning.

Under normal circumstances, that would not have been an issue with her supervisor, but her employer on the other hand was a ticking time bomb who doesn't think twice before replacing employees for being tardy.

Luckily for Emery, the usual spot for the almighty Mercedes-Benz was vacant when she pulled into one of the empty lanes in the lot.

Prudential Insure was a novel three-story building with all the generic yet modish office complex any employee would wish for. And with all the amenity comes great expectations.