Chapter 25

Emery's giddiness and warmth dissipated like a puff of smoke upon seeing her ex-boyfriend

Though he wore a big smile, his features were livid, and she knew right away that another tantrum was on its way.

"Nick... I didn't know you were coming over," she forced out. 

He shrugged. "I came to see Manuel and stopped by to say hi. Aren't you going to invite me in for coffee?"

"Sure," Emery jumbled. She raked through her clutch for her keys and when she found it, it slipped through her shaky fingers. 

"Here, let me help you." He picked up the keys and unlocked the door.

Emery stood outside for a couple of seconds as she stared hesitantly at the door. Nicholas had already walked inside. Without an invitation. 

In all honesty, she did not know how to deal with this side of their relationship. Nicholas was the first guy she ever dated and she had no idea what to expect from an ex-boyfriend. 

Obviously, it would be deemed normal if he showed signs of jealousy after being replaced. But for some reason, being alone with Nicholas, knowing he had seen her and Billion earlier raised a red flag somewhere in Emery's mind.

Nick will not dare lay his hands on her—with that fortified mindset, Emery dragged herself into the house. She huffed in annoyance when she saw Nicholas on the couch, with his vans on the coffee table.

"Nick, get your legs off the table. That's rude."

Nicholas swung his legs off the table without argument. "You know what, forget about coffee. Get me a cold beer," he demanded, the sadistic smile still plastered on his face.

I'm not your maid, asshole. Emery nodded instead and strode into the kitchen. 

She could feel his hot gaze on her but steeled herself not to look back. Placing her clutch on the counter, she went over to the fridge to grab him the beer. 

Emery spun around when he barged into the kitchen unannounced. She almost dropped the beer. What the hell was wrong with him? He was behaving unlike himself today.

A nagging voice at the back of her mind told her that she barely knew him on any personal level to know who he really was. 

"I'm guessing that was your hired fiance?" he queried, crossing his arms over his broad chest.  

"Here you go." Emery handed the beer to him.

"Thanks babe." He took the beer from her but did not let go of her hand.