Chapter 40

It was in the tranquil hours when the Dekker's private plane landed in LaGuardia airport

It was in the tranquil hours when the Dekker's private plane landed in LaGuardia airport. And as punctilious as his bodyguard was, Samuel Cooper was waiting with the car.

"It's good to have you back, Sir." Billion gave the man a curt nod before getting into the Rolls-Royce.

In the last six years of his keep safe service, the guard had never witnessed this storny side of his boss. Samuel would have gladly lent an ear like old times but knowing something out of his control was amidst, he took the coldness with a faint heart and without further ado, drove out of the airport.

High raised condors and villas blurred by as the car roved through to Clifford Hills. The onset of daylight had barely cracked the dark hues of Dawn but midtown Manhattan was already astir.

Billion did not even blink when the car zoomed by the Dekker's Mansion. Within reason, he could have gone home or Menzgold to freshen up and perhaps, take a nap and await sunrise, but the long wait was thinning out his patience.

So before Samuel could take the turn to Menzgold, Billion said, "Take me to the Hamilton's."

Samuel did as ordered and as the elite part of Clifford hills rolled by, the few rows of single-family homes came to view.

Those on their early morning jog, eyed the Rolls-Royce as it rolled through the streetlamp illuminated neighborhood.

It would have been present to enjoy the cool air that smelled of the ocean, the twitter of magpie-robbins and the beautiful view of sunrise over the community, if Billion was not out of his elements. Impatiently, he glanced at his wristwatch again and it read just half-past six.

"Park over there..." Samuel followed his instructions and pulled over the curb just in front of the Hamilton's house.

And like a cop on patrol, Billion regarded the red building amidst similar houses. Beyond any doubt, he knew it was cheap on his part to believe the words of a guy like Nicholas McLean, but he had to get to the bottom of this torment.

Her car was nowhere in view, and though the logical part of Billion reasoned it could be in the garage, he could not help but to fall back on his earlier thought.

She slept over at his house.

That was until Billion saw the black Audi parked in the Hamilton's driveway. His uneasiness came to life then.

"Do you recognize the car in the Hamilton's driveway?"

Promptly, Samuel looked to his right and after a second or two scrutiny of the black wheels, he gave a hesitant nod.

"From where?" Billion intoned.

"It picked up Miss Hamilton the day you asked me to... tail her to C&D."