ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

Twelve Months Later

Twelve Months Later

"How is Penelope holding up?" Billion turned his attention from his glass of wine and glanced at the woman from across the dining table.

He only allowed Annabel to coax him into accepting Dean Clifford's dinner invitation because he wanted to spend some time with his niece.

"She is fine... And she is settling in well." Billion picked his words carefully since his niece was at the table with them.

After Dean was granted custody of Noelle, the separation took an emotional toll on Penelope. Billion then had to beg his grandmother to move into his father's mansion where she could be well-taken care of.

But like the stubborn old lady she was, Penelope refused to leave her husband's home. However, after days of persuasion, she finally accepted to move into her son's house.

"Can I go and visit grandma Penny?"

"Of course Princess-" Billion stopped himself when reality hit him that he was no longer in charge of his niece. He relinquished his rights six months ago when he signed those adoption papers.

But once again, Billion assured himself that he made the right decision. His sister would have wanted this. And most importantly, his niece was happy in her new home.

"If its Okay with your father..." Billion looked pointedly at Dean who was also regarding him intently.

"Can I go please?"

Billion watched as Dean's gaze softened at his daughter's request. In as much as he hated to admit it, Dean Clifford was a doting father from what he had witnessed these past few months.

"Of course angel. Mommy and I will take you to see grandma Penny tomorrow." he offered his daughter a warm smile and she returned it with a much more broad one.

However, Billion did not miss his niece's wavering smile when Dean referred to Annabel as her mother. Despite everything that had happened over the years, Annabel was still a virtuous woman, and he couldn't have asked for a more positive role model for his niece.

But while his niece might have settled in with the couple with less drama, it was obvious that the girl was still mourning her biological mother. And the least they could do was to give her time to come out of that grief before imposing titles on her. Billion made it a point to talk to Dean about this.

Once Dinner rolled over, Billion was escorted to his car by Annabel and Noelle while Dean excused himself and retired to his study. Much to Billion's relief.

Although he had put some things behind him for the sake of his niece, he was yet to thread the friendship path with Dean Clifford. Maybe one day.

Billion pulled his niece into his arms when they got to his car. "You are a good girl. Don't let anything or anyone change that." Noelle gave him a playful salute.