Chapter 22

In the evening, minutes after he drove her away—right when memories of her started to visit him, Billion sought solitude in a bottle of liquor

This was not how it was supposed to end. She was his. She was supposed to be his. Why did she have to be in love with another man?!

Why did his fears have to get in his way again?

Selfishly, he had wanted her to be better than him. And not like him, a lying cheating bastard. Opposites attract they say-so perhaps if she was nothing like him, she would come to care about him. She would want to stay.

Karma was a real bitch for giving him a taste of his own pill.

With tangible reasons as he claimed, Billion was back at it again, drinking his problems away like the coward he was.

His intoxicated mind had to be playing tricks on him because he could not recall the last time he was so wasted. But he owns no one an apology. He couldn't even offer one if he did because he was drunk out of his wits.

Shooing his hovering bodyguard away, Billion stumbled out of the private elevator and zigzagged through the hallway that led to his suite.

The door seemed so far away but yet so close. One more step, two more and there he was. Shame on Lewis for sending Cooper after him. He was perfectly fine.

Fumbling with his card, he managed to open his door. After the fifth attempt.

However, Billion would have noticed that the door was already unlocked if he had not drunk his senses away. The fogginess clouding his mind started to clear when he stepped into his suite.

For a moment, he thought the alcohol was playing tricks on his mind again as he stared at the triple image of the woman seated comfortably in his living room.

"Mamà?"

Ashley placed the fine China on the coffee table and glanced up at her son. "Hello, dear."

"What are you doing here?" Billion slurred as he meandered over to the couch opposite his mom.

"Is that any way to greet your mother?" Ashley's question was ignored as her son plopped into the couch and made himself comfortable in a sleeping position.

"In whose name have you drunk your manners away?" Ashley chuckled but it wasn't out of amusement.

Like a silent prayer, her name stumbled out of his mouth, "Emery."

In his partial consciousness, Billion continued to drawl her name from the couch. She was the one who was supposed to stay. The only one he wanted to stay. So why couldn't she stay?

Was he that unworthy of her love?

Ashley blinked hard at her son's reply. After all, she had not expected an answer to her rhetorical question. The mother was dumfounded for a whole minute as she stared at her son's drunktose state.