Chapter 29

It was not atypical for it to rain in Fall, but unusual torrential downpour never fails to grate on the nerve of the unprepared

It was not atypical for it to rain in Fall, but unusual torrential downpour never fails to grate on the nerve of the unprepared. And this was the case of Emery.

She saw it coming but still cussed her luck and all the weather forecasters in Manhattan as she packed her car by the curb, adjacent Menzgold.

Emery yanked off her seatbelt but stayed in the comfort of her car as she pondered on how to maneuver into the empty club. Without turning up at his doorstep looking like a baptized rat.

"Damn this. A little warning would do next time." she cried out in the silence of her car.

From her side window, Emery watched as the rain bore down heavily, hitting the glistened road with such agility that dared her to step out.

She was highly tempted to turn around and drive back home. But looking back at how she had managed to drive through the heavy rains for the last few minutes, going back was clearly out of the equation.

With steel-like resolve, Emery opened her side door and dashed out of the car. With a speed that would have shamed only her grandmother. Her behind alone pulled her back a few yards, and the slippery flops adorning her feet did not help matters either.

The icy rain bit into her skin, soaking her clothes as she raced into the building. But after a few artful words and steady military march, she was welcomed by the warmth of the elevator.

Bracing herself as the lift soared higher, Emery rubbed her arms to shake off the cold and to keep her nerves in check as well.

What if he doesn't want to see me? His behavior earlier was clear enough.

The ding of the elevator startled her out of her thoughts. Taking a deep breath, she stepped out and shuffled towards the suite.

Still lost in her mind, she did not see Samuel who was coming out of the suite thus bumping into the man.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Its all good, miss Hamilton." Samuel offered her a polite smile as he steadied her on her feet.

The wet patches on his crisped black suit had Emery grimacing. "Um… is he OK? Is he in?"

"I will definitely be unemployed tomorrow but yeah…. If you go and the door is locked, access code is 25909," Samuel said.

"Thanks." Emery gave him a gentle smile and strode towards the suite.

The door was indeed locked like Samuel had predicted, and she was quick to punch in the code before it escaped her already dense mind.

                                     · · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

Sprawled on a Persian rug beside the fireplace, Billion gazed upon the swirl of liquid pouring down the heart of the city through the glass panes.