Chapter 21

In as much as Emery tried not to think of a certain man, she failed miserably since all her mind did for the rest of the day was to drag her back to the incident that occurred in the afternoon

The greater part of her wished his words and actions were genuine, and not just executed for public pretenses.

Conversely, the lesser part of her warned her to throw the fantasies out of the window and take a reality check. It was all for the show.

"See you tomorrow, Em. Dean wants to see you by the way," Tracy said from the doorway, and her words snapped Emery out of her thoughts.

"Sure, see you tomorrow," Emery called after her.

The day had come to an end and from her glass window, Emery could see the somewhat empty cubicles.

With her preoccupied mind, she was able to sort through only half of the files Dean had assigned to her, and she prayed her boss had not summoned her because of her inefficiency.

Emery got up and head over to Dean's office. She gave the door a light knock and walked in upon hearing Dean's quiet invitation.

"You called for me, sir?"

"I did."

Emery watched in apprehension as Dean backed away from the window and sauntered over to her. He sidestepped her to shut the door and she stiffened when she felt his warm breath on the nape of her neck.

However, before her mind could process anything, Dean walked over to his desk as if what happened was a figment of her imagination.

"Should I be worried about your fiance during your working days here?" he asked.

I knew it.

"I'm really sorry for his behavior, sir. It won't happen again..."

"Then you don't know who you're engaged to," Dean mirth.

"Excuse me?"

"No offense, Emery. You're a very decent lady and I just don't understand why you'd want to get tied down with a guy like Miles," Dean argued.

"I know Miles has flaws but then again, we all do. I sincerely apologize for his behavior, sir," Emery said.

The defensive tone didn't go undetected by Dean. Leaning against the desk with his arms crossed over his broad chest, Dean appraised the young woman before him.

"Do you know why he was actually here this afternoon?" he asked.

"He brought my lunch," Emery intoned, meeting his lingering gaze with a deep frown.

"If that's the case, then you might want to ask your fiance why he sought me out to demand that I fire you," Dean pointed out.

"Excuse me?" Emery said warily.