Chapter 52

Back when she was head over heels in love with him, the air was always intense with longing. But now, being in the same space with him only spelled infinite awkwardness.

No words had been exchanged between them since he arrived, and that was fine by Emery. She just wanted to finish her bowl of soup and lie down for a while.

From the kitchen, Emery listened in on father and daughter as they babble to each other as if they were old pals.

And whether she admits it or not, it was a heartwarming scene.

Once she was done eating, she washed the bowl and warmed a bottle of milk for her little one.

“Is it feeding time?” Miles inquired when she joined them with the bottle. He was still lying on the rug with the baby on his chest.

“I've fed her already but do you mind giving her her milk in case she gets hungry? I want to lie down a bit.”

“Of course not...”

“Thanks.” Emery set the feeding bottle on the coffee table.

She picked the blanket and a throw-pillow from the couch and went over to the other end of the rug for a nap, ignoring the two as they resumed their incoherent conversation.

It was sometime in the evening when Emery woke up. Her headache was almost nonexistent and she no longer needed the blanket.

The baby was asleep in her nest beside her but he was nowhere in sight. His jacket was on the couch though.

“You're awake.” Miles called out.

Emery looked behind her and there he was, at the balcony, texting on his phone.

“Was I gone for that long?”

“Four hours straight and you sure needed it... how are you feeling?”

Brand new.

“Better.” She turned to her daughter to check if she needed a diaper change but her little one was all cozy. “for how long has she been sleeping?”

“Like half an hour. I've already fed and changed her.”

I can see that and you did so expertly. “Thank you...”

He strode back to the living room and reclined on the couch. “I learnt you're going back to work tomorrow?” Emery nodded. “How is the nanny hunt going?”

She looked up at him with a little frown. What else had her brother told him?

“Unfortunately I haven't found a suitable caretaker yet...” at least not one who isn't a pocket sucker.

“You don't mind if I take care of her, do you?”

Emery did a double-take. “You will take care of the baby?”

“Why not? I think I'm capable of taking care of our daughter. Unless you don't trust my Manny abilities.”

That was surely not the case. If he was able to take care of his niece who was now a healthy child, she had no doubt he would be a great caretaker for their daughter.

“Of course I trust you to take care of her, you're her father... Look, I know you have some experience with your niece but that was years ago and you had your grandparents there to help...”

“Believe me when I say I don't need help with changing diapers or feeding or entertaining a baby. The only thing I'm a sucker at is giving them a bath cause these little ones can be as slippery as eels under the water...”