Chapter One

Asano's P.O.V.

I sat perfectly straight in my chair, waiting patiently for the professor to finish handing out the graded tests.

A slight smirk played at my lips, I knew I had aced it. I always aced them. It wasn't even fun anymore, to be honest. It was impossible for me to fail. But the fact this test was harder then any of the previous ones, and that I was the only one who had scored well on it did still make me smile. It felt good to be on top.

While everyone else's tests had been handed upside down, Professor Masa beamed and handed mine to me face up.

A+.

"Excellent work as always, Asano." He fixed his glasses and smiled at me, which I returned.

"Thank you, Professor." I said.

Once his back was turned, my cheery expression dropped into a dark glare.

I was fucking bored.

Once upon a time, I had some real competition. His name was Karma and he brought excitement into my everyday life. We always competed against each other, in sports, academics, fighting, even petty things like who was fast enough to get the last pop in the soda machine. But he was a psychopath, and his bad behavior eventually caught up to him and he was sent to E class, a place off campus for people like him. That's karma for you.

Tch. Idiot. He would rather get into trouble than stay here and fight with me. Now I'm all alone. That bastard.

The bell rang, dismissing the students for the day.

I rose, stuffing my paper into my bag.

"Hey, Asano," a hand clapped my shoulder roughly. "You ready for tonight?"

I pushed the hand off me and straightened up. "What have I told you about touching me, Ren?"

He laughed and backed off. "Sorry, you're so touchy. But you're still coming right?"

I sighed, my breath brushing my orange hair out of my violet eyes. "I don't know."

Every Friday night me and the "Big Five", as we're so called, get a table at Oishī Nūdoru (Yum Noodle), to hang out.

I say 'hang out' lightly. I try to eat and mind my business on my phone, but the others are loud and boastful. I wouldn't call myself friends of theirs, but we're all in the same circle. And ever since Karma left (that bastard) I would rather be in a circle than by myself.

"Aw come on, you gotta come!" He exclaimed. "Me and the others would be so lost without you, you know that!"

I headed towards the exit, and students parted like the Red Sea, staring in awe at me and Ren. While he excelled in English, I excelled in everything. Top marks, straight A's, first place, whatever you want to call it, I always achieved it.

"Yes, I do know that." I stated in a way that made him shrink a little.

"Well, think it over and text us if you're gunna show." He said, adjusting his back pack and hurrying off.

I watched him go in contempt. I wasn't a fan of Friday night's. It meant a whole weekend with my father.

I could imagine the tense, silent dinner scenes now, each of us sitting at the end of a long table, nothing but the sound of clinking silverware to break the suffocating quiet.

I had just stepped outside into the bright sunshine, when a high pitched voice squealed from my right.

I turned just in time to be attacked by a mass of black hair and dimples.