Chapter Nineteen

Karma's P.O.V.

The principals office was bigger than I remembered.

It was probably the same size, I was just feeling smaller.

Asano was gone.

Missing.

Just like that other kid...and he was still yet to be found.

Principal Asano was sitting at his desk, writing something down.

It was unnaturally quiet in the room. There wasn't even the ticking of a clock to help pass the time.

Finally, he set down his pen and looked at me with steely eyes, placing his fingertips together.

It was another moment entirely before he spoke.

"What happened?"

I don't know! I wanted to scream. One second he was here, the next, gone!

"On record," he added.

"He left class to go to the bathroom, and then I heard a scream, and when I got inside, the bathroom was a mess and Asano was...he wasn't there, sir." I said.

"I see." He continued to look at me, before glancing down at the papers at his desk. "I've alerted the students and staff to the incident in the boys restroom, they believe it was a busted water pipe that caused the mess, so please stick with that story. Now," He shoved everything aside and leaned close, and I could make out the hint of desperation in his eyes. "Off record, what happened?"

"There was another monster attack," I blurted out, thankful to finally get down to business.

"You saw it? What was it?" He grabbed a new pen and paper. "Tell me everything!"

I shook my head, angry and disappointed in myself. "I didn't see it, it was gone before I got inside. But I know it had to have been another monster, what else could it be? A busted water pipe?"

He scribbled something down. "Anything else? Anything at all you remember? The pipe repairmen will be here shortly, so we can't investigate the crime scene. I'm relying on your memory and observation skills, Akabane."

Well that sucks, because I was too distraught to remember anything other than the fact Shuu was missing.

"The mirrors were broken as well, so I don't know what to say to include that in our broken pipe story. Also, the windows. I think the creature got in that way." I said.

He nodded, writing fast. I craned my neck to see his notes, but for some reason he was writing in Russian, one of the few languages I didn't know. However, I picked one word out and memorized it for later. It was all the time I had before he suddenly stood up, tucking the notes under his arm.

"Well, I have quite a few phone calls to make, so please excuse me. If you still wish to stay at our house, I'll have Miriam make you a key. For now, there is a spare one under the flower pot. I know the place will seem emptier without my son there, but for now I think you and I need to stick closer together until he is found, safe and sound."

I stood up too. "Thank you. I agree. They maker bolder and bolder moves here, I think they're gearing up for the end."

"Unfortunately, Karma, I have to agree."

-

Later that night, I stood in front of the door to Shuu's bedroom, heart heavy.

It seemed like just yesterday we had our sleepover. Him giving me his clothes to wear, him laughing in the bathroom, us laying in bed together, talking.