Chapter Twenty Nine

Karma's P.O.V.

I groaned, coming back to life with the worst headache of my life and feeling like I was going to throw up, which I promptly did.

Wiping my mouth, I leaned against the stone walls, relishing their cool texture against my blazing hot skin.

Slowly, and using the wall for support, I shakily got to my knees.

My mind was hurting, as well as my entire body.

The voice came on again. "Good morning, Karma."

"Shut the fuck up and die," I snapped, rubbing my eyes with my sleeve as I tried to remember what happened. It was already the next morning? I had been taken sometime in the early afternoon, which meant I had been here for almost 24 hours.

So far, I wasn't about to give them a five star review.

"I hope you'll use much nicer language with your friend." The voice was unbothered.

"I told you," I said, finally able to stand on my own two feet without falling over. "I don't have a friend here."

A hidden door across from me slowly slid open, and I froze.

"And I told you...you do."

The voice clicked off, leaving me with someone who was most definitely not my friend.

-

Asano's P.O.V.

The ride to the prison was tense.

Chief Hirabayashi was quiet the whole time, and the silence was only broken by occasional bursts of talk from his radio from when the other officers reported their locations and suspicious activity.

I focused all my energy on trying not to bite my nails or bounce my leg impatiently. I didn't want to show I was anxious, as that was a sign of weakness. After the stunt I had pulled back at the police station, I couldn't afford to seem like I wasn't in complete control of everything.

"You know, if you're right about this whole evil corporation thing, and if your father has a part in this, it'll be the biggest scandal in Japan, since...well since Creation Enterprises was first discovered." The chief said.

"I don't care about media attention or the fallout from all of this," I mumbled, crossing my arms to keep from drumming my fingers impatiently. "I just want to save my friend."

"Ah, right. This 'Karma' person." Chief chuckled to himself. "I remember my first crush."

"I-" My eyes widened and I couldn't finish my sentence, not that I even knew where I was going with it anyways. My brain was frozen, and I couldn't form a coherent thought. My heart, however, was now working overtime.

"It's okay, Gakushuu," Hirabayashi laughed. "It's obvious you care for him more than anyone else. One doesn't barge into the police station, hurl insults and degrade the chief of police and demand to see the biggest criminal mastermind in the whole country, arguably the world, just for an acquaintance."

"I-I'm not gay," I mumbled, turning my head to look out the window. "Why does everyone keep thinking that?"

"Everyone has a sexuality crisis when they're young," The chief said. "But don't worry, I'm sure we'll get Markus to give you that key and then we'll be back at the school in no time."

Does someone want to tell me how I'm on my way to see a dangerous man who technically doesn't exist, to get a key to save my friend from a fate worse than death, and yet somehow the topic of my sexuality is once again taking precedence?