Chapter Five

Karma's P.O.V.

I sat on the windowsill, watching as Asano slept off the drugs.

I had snuck into the nurses office shortly after the principal left. The nurse came at regular twenty minute intervals, so as long as I kept one eye on the clock, I wouldn't get caught.

The sunlight streamed through the window and rested on Asano's face, highlighting his pale features. I raised a hand and felt the warmth of the sun, lost in my thoughts.

The principal was going to be a problem in our investigation if he wasn't going to allow me and Shuu to work together. And, even more importantly, if he was beating Asano, I was going to kill him.

I knew they didn't have a healthy relationship, but I hadn't known it was this bad.

I clenched my fingers into a fist in anger at the thought. I knew I had to do something...

Asano let out a sigh and I faced him.

He was slowly blinking his eyes open and seemed confused at his surroundings.

"Morning sleepyhead!" I chirped, jumping to the floor.

He struggled to sit up, holding his head. "Akabane?"

"Whoa there, take it easy." I sat behind him and grabbed his shoulders. Pulling him back, I laid his head on my lap. "You just survived a wild animal attack and the drugs are still in your system. Just wait a few more minutes."

He groaned but didn't fight me.

I played with his soft orange hair. "How are you feeling?"

"Don't ask stupid questions." He mumbled, and I laughed.

"You were in that attack too, and you did more than I did," he complained, rubbing a hand over his eyes. His words were still a little slurred and his voice was barely over a whisper. "How come you're fine but I had to get drugged up?"

"Because I'm more used to that kind of stuff than you." I answered.

He tilted his head back slightly and gave me a look. His violet eyes were strikingly clear despite the drugs and my breath caught.

"Okay, well, I mean I'm more used to fighting big guys than you. That was my first time fighting a giant horse." I clarified.

He sighed and closed his eyes again.

We sat in silence for a moment, and it was blissfully peaceful.

Too soon, the sound of rushing footsteps suddenly disrupted our moment, and Asano shot upright.

"Hide!" He hissed, shoving me off the bed.

I didn't have time to jump out the window, so I quickly rolled under the bed.

"Asano-san!" A girls cheery voice exclaimed. "I heard you were sick, so I came right over!"

"Hello, Kiri." I heard Shuu say, forcing a smile. "I told you, you can just call me-"

"Oh I know, I'm sorry, I'll remember next time." She said brightly. "Anyways, if you want to come over to my place tonight, I'm having a small valentines day party! It's just a little get together since it's almost valentines..."

I didn't even have to see her face to know what she was implying.

Shuu, however, was either stupidly unaware, or simply not interested, because his voice was firm when he said, "Sorry, Kiri. I should stay home and get better."

"Oh, right, of course...yeah..." She trailed off, and I could hear the disappointment in her tone.

"Well, I hope you get better soon. You can always text me if you need anything." She lingered in the doorway.

"Right." Was all Shuu said, and I had to try hard to not laugh.

Finally, the door shut behind her and I heard Shuu sigh.

"She's gone, you can come out now." He whispered.

I crawled out from under the bed, stifling a laugh. "Damn, Orange. I knew you were cold but that was brutal."

He glared at me. "It was the truth, what was I supposed to do- lie to her and lead her on?"

I raised my hands in surrender, smirking. "No, you're right. You just surprise me sometimes is all."

He seemed taken aback by my words, but he regained his composure in under a second. "Maybe you shouldn't judge someone then."

"Or," I took an intimidating step closer. "We could make a bet."

He scoffed. "A bet? Seriously? When will you learn I don't make dumb bets with people like you?"

"Whoever surprises the other three times first wins, and the loser has to do whatever the winner says." I said, grinning.

"Surprise how?" He crossed his arms, but I was glad he was actually taking it into consideration.

"In any way. Not like jump scares, though. Like, just by doing something surprising that the other person wasn't expecting. Revealing something shocking." I said.

He regarded my offer. "And how will we know if the other person was surprised or not?"

"We're both men of our words, are we not?"

He looked at the ground, but I could still see his blush. "Well, then in that case, you surprised me that night when you attacked me, it was your different voice that got me."

I bit back a smirk. "Really, Shuu? This will be the easiest bet I've ever made."

He was about to retort, but I held up a hand. "But, to be fair...you surprised me too."

"When?" He looked confused.

"Just now, when you crushed Kiri's heart."

He was blushing again. "I didn't go that far."

"And also when you let your dad beat you around."

His head shot up and he gasped, staring me right in the eye.

"Akabane!" He took a step forward, but I could see he was shaking.

"I didn't take you as someone who would just sit there and let themselves get pushed around." I said calmly.

He glared at me. "You think I just sit there and suffer?"

He turned away. "You really do know nothing, degenerate."

It was silent, until I held out my hand. "So, do we have a deal?"

He smirked and grabbed my hand and we shook. "Fine, but let's change it to five strikes instead of three, or else it'll be over too soon."

"Fine with me." I gripped his warm hand gently, unlike how his dad had.

"You're going to regret this bet, Akabane."

"I'll never regret making you wear a maid outfit, Shuu." I winked.

--------------------------------------------

this one is a lot shorter cuz im gay