Chapter Thirty Five

Asano's P.O.V.

I took a step back, heart racing as I took in this new Karma.

"What's wrong, Shuu?" He took a step closer. "Don't tell me you're scared!" He laughed.

"You just killed someone!" I blurted, horrified.

"No, I killed Nagisa."

I didn't even know what to say. Yes, Nagisa had been a problem for a while now but he didn't deserve death, especially not in the way that Karma had delivered it.

"The old Karma would never have killed someone." I shook my head.

"Am I some new Karma then?" He raised an eyebrow and continued walking closer.

"I don't know what you are, some kind of monster." I hissed.

"Still sexy, though." He winked and backed me against the wall. "You gotta admit, this is hotter." He laughed again, running his hand through his hair.

I stared at his red eyes, missing the sunset. "Just give me the old Karma, please."

His laughter stopped and he glared at me. "And what if I don't want to? This new Karma is better. New Karma can protect you from anyone. Old Karma couldn't stop you from being attacked, or from getting abducted. Old Karma couldn't find you when you were missing."

He placed his hands on my shoulders and leaned in. "He couldn't even find the courage to kiss you."

I quickly pushed him off. "Stop! None of that was his fault!"

"Stop?" He looked at me. "You can't stop me. No one can anymore. I'm going to kill everyone in this building, and then you and I can finally start our life together."

"No!" I cried. "Don't hurt anyone else! You won't be any better than them! We'll just call the police and-"

"They deserve the death penalty, not life without parole!" Karma shouted, cutting me off.

I crossed my arms. "Well I'm not going to start a life with anyone except the old Karma."

His expression darkened. "Like I said, you can't stop me."

He was about to make a move, but before he could, the door opened again, and someone entered.

We both stopped and turned to face her.

My breath caught in my throat.

No...impossible...

I slid down the wall, trying to not break down or pass out as my heart went into overdrive.

She walked over to us, her footsteps not making a sound.

"It's so nice to finally meet you in person, Karma." She smiled.

Karma stiffened, recognizing the voice. But now it belonged to a real person.

She kneeled down in front of me.

I couldn't believe my eyes. They were lying to me. Everything and everyone in this place was a lie.

She laughed, as if she could read my mind. She placed her hand on my knee. "I'm real, Asano-chan. It's me."

The word was caught in my throat, but someone how I managed to force it out.

"Mom?"

-

Karma's P.O.V.

Mom?

Mom?

Sakura Asano?