S E V E N

"then decide where you want to be, and everything I did is true because I want you to be here,"

Isabelle POV

I stopped reading as my gaze went to the box lying on the bed. Rolling my lower lip into my mouth, I went over to pick up the box. Cyrus left the box in the morning. I was not in a good mood to open it. The last dinner with him was intense and I needed a break to think.

I know there's a growing tension between us. I would hate to admit that I like him. I like him just for being him. The gentleness he showed and the way he did the little things. The little things that took my breath away.

Sighing, I opened the box. There's a small note. I pick it up but my gaze immediately falls on the pearl earrings. I gasped in shock. "H―How." I muttered under my breath. I trace my thumb over them gently. On the day when we visited the street market, I fell in love with these earnings but I couldn't possibly buy them as I didn't have money on me. I didn't want Cyrus to buy them for me as he had already bought books. I kept the box on the bed and opened the note.

'Isabelle,

You remind me of the pearl. Hard as the shell but pretty as the pearl inside. Do not let someone break down your shell and see you vulnerable. Decide the one who you need to break down your shell.'

I couldn't stop the tears. This is the nicest thing someone has told me. I took my seat and re-read the note. Cyrus and I have been ignoring each other. I haven't seen him at the breakfast table or at lunch. I know he is giving me space.

My father called me in the morning. They were yet to return and he had no idea when they were coming back. Sara took the phone and mentioned the wedding planning. They have decided on the venue. Caroline sent me a copy of the wedding invitation. Everything's been planned out without including me.

However, I was happy that they weren't calling me every day and asking about my whereabouts. It felt like a strong punch that they didn't bother to involve me in my own wedding preparations. Now, I can't stop the tears rolling down my cheeks. I used tissue paper to sneeze.

I looked around the room. I feel catastrophic. I need to step out and breathe. All of a sudden, reality hit. I'm alone and there's nothing that could save me in the future unless I make the decision. I take the scarf with me and wander to the garden. It was past midnight, Cyrus hadn't returned. Maybe he did but he hasn't shown up.

I took a seat on the bench and looked at the flowers. There's a lot of things going on in my mind. If I ask Cyrus to help me. I'm sure he would do anything to help me and keep me safe from my father. But I know what kind of monster my Father is. I don't want him coming after Cyrus and his family.

Startled when I felt the presence beside me. I turned my head to see Cyrus taking the place beside me. He was wearing a crisp white shirt and pants. I turned to the other side and wiped away the tears from my face.

He hasn't said anything. We just sat there watching the moonlight. Suddenly, Cyrus took my hand in his and started caressing. His hand felt rough against mine but it was soothing. He drew circles, patterns and letters on the back of my hand. I loved the feeling of it.

A while passed, a yawn left my mouth and I couldn't sit straight. But I do not want the moment to end. Without any second thought, I leaned my head on his shoulder. He tensed and I was about to move back when he stopped me from moving my head away. I relaxed and closed my eyes.

*

I entered the kitchen to help Beth and Lily. "Good morning, ladies."

"Good morning, darling," Beth said.

"Good morning, honey."

"What are we making for breakfast?" I asked, taking the seat on the high stool. "Oh, we have prepared breakfast. Pablo had to leave early with Cyrus," Beth said.

"Here, enjoy your breakfast," Lily said, placing my plate. "Thank you." She smiled, patting my head before leaving to do the laundry.

"I saw Cyrus carrying you last night," Beth said. My cheeks turned pink as she gave me a teasing smile.

"You two look cute together." I didn't say anything.

"We have a charity event tonight. Could you join us?" Beth asked me. "Cyrus asked me not to force you. But I really want you to be there."

"I..." I thought about it, no one actually knows me. If it's a charity event, I'm sure people from the business world are going to be present. If Cyrus knew my Father, then he might as well know other people.

I don't want to risk attending the event. "Please, my friends are excited about meeting you. You will like the event."

I couldn't say no to her. I will be leaving this estate next week. I wouldn't be meeting Beth and Pablo ever again. There's no way we are going to cross paths. "Okay."

"Yes, I have already got a dress for you. I will leave it in your room. If you do not like it, you can wear something else."

"Thank you."

*

My hands started sweating as I did my makeup. I couldn't help but feel anxious. Cyrus spent the afternoon with me. We haven't spoken anything. We sat together and watched a movie. Cyrus is using the guest room to get ready.

The dress Beth had handed me was beautiful. It's white and sparkly. She mentioned that it was Cyrus who had selected it. I finished my makeup and waited for Cyrus.

Picking up the phone and clutch, I stepped out of the room and went to the guest room. I knocked on the door and waited for Cyrus. The door opened but he was on a call. He did a quick check before giving me space to enter. While he spoke on the call, I checked him out.

He was wearing a black suit with no tie. The first two buttons of his dress shirt were open. He tried to do his hair but it looked messy. A good kind of messy...