Chapter Fourty Two

He felt an odd sort of panic as the two chakras flared. They were familiar to his dream self but not to him. His body moved without his commanding it to, urgently rushing across a Konoha that was slightly different than how he knew it to be. When Kakashi finally caught a first glimpse at what distressed this version of himself, his heart almost dropped from his chest. A small blonde boy who was around the age of twelve  - who he knew was Naruto - had a rasengan in one of his hands as he charged at a boy with dark hair he knew as Sasuke. Sasuke, oddly enough, had his lighning jutsu charged in his hand, its lightning arching through the air and making a dreadful sound like a thousand chirping birds. This boy was also charging. In between them was a pink haired girl, Sakura. She was running to intercept them and even as their eyes shifted to her they knew they weren't able to stop in time.

Relief flooded through him as he managed to reach them just in time. Grabbing the wrists of the two fighting gennin, he tossed each of them into water towers that were on the roof of the Konoha Hospital, saving the pink-haired girl just in time.

|¤|Ω|¤|

Kakashi woke in a cold sweat, details of the dream swimming around his mind, yet disappearing by the second.
In fear of forgetting yet again he was quick to grab the notebook and pen he kept in the set of drawers beside his bed, and flipped it open to a fresh page. But as soon as the ink touched the paper it was gone. The only things he could remember were the three distinct colours and the feeling of overwhelming panic. He wrote it down anyways. He looked at the page from the day before and then the day before that and on each page was roughly the same thing. Pink, yellow, and black - Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke, then an emotion he had while he was in the dream, it wasn't always severe as it was now, but it was always there. Sometimes he would dream of other people - someone in bright green, a scene that dipicted something bloody and gruesome - but he could never remember the details.

He slammed the book closed in an uncharacteristic fit of rage and threw it across the room to vent his frustration, not even caring when it made a dent in his wall. Whatever these dreams were they were important. They were telling him something he needed to know but he kept forgetting! What was it?! Just one night he would like to be fast enough to write down a single detail beyond what he already had!

Naruto knew what it was that was so important, he was a part of it, Kakashi was sure of that. He played a role in many of his strange dreams, but every time he asked, the blonde diverted the subject to something else. It made him so mad! He needed to blow off some steam, get the rising emotions out of his system.

Even though the moon still shone bright and high, he swiftly packed his weapons and took off to the training grounds. He scowled at the door of his new neighbor as he passed it, like it could actually receive his anger.

Kakashi decided to take a walk to the grounds, knowing the calm pace would sooth him, even if just a little, and maybe even spare some poor training dummy's life. There was just something about nightime that made walking so peaceful, and such a good time to think.

Despite his initial plans, an hour later he found himself wandering instead of training. The claws of thought had got him deep in their clutches and he found himself pondering many things. Could you guess what was on the top of the list?

If you answered anything that wasn't Naruto Uzumaki related, you'd be wrong. The more time he spent around the jounin the less he trusted him. Why you ask? Because he seemed so trustworthy in every aspect you could imagine and Kakashi wasn't buying it. The blonde was certainly good at playing it though, he seemed so geniune. Every time he ruffled Kakashi's hair and called him 'Little Man' it drew him in and invited him to spill everything he had ever kept hidden, like Naruto was some kind of long lost brother or something. But Kakashi couldn't afford to have someone who was close to him, he was a shinobi, that kind of attachment would only bring him pain. But even now just the thought of the blonde, and the possibility of someone caring, made him waver, it made him - in Kakashi's opinon - weak.