Chapter Seventy Seven

(A/n) the song has nothing to do with the chapter I just really like it.

Despite the fact that Naruto himself continued to adamantly vouch for this Sasuke Uchiha, given what he had been told by the very same man, Sarutobi felt the pressing need to confront the raven himself. He had brought with him Inoichi and Minato and now, all four of them sitting there, he was suddenly hit with a strong sense of dejavu. For a second he saw Naruto sitting there on that bed, wounds miraculously gone, sleep med seemingly entirely inaffective. On those at least, Naruto remained unique. Indeed the Uchiha's wounds remained tightly bound with sterile gauze; and though he had refused any medication, his eyes were still blurry from sleep.

"Are you ready to begin?" Sarutobi asked after the usual pleasantries had been tossed around.

Sauke scowled almost menacingly. "What exactly are you planning to do?" He asked grumply, his voice still low and scratchy, his fingers twisting knots into the bed sheet.

Patiently, the Hokage described what they were about to do, which essentially was the same as they had with Naruto six months prior. The wanted him to answer a few questions under Inoichi's truth jutsu and then if they feel it necessary, they would take a stroll through his memories for extra measure.

Sasuke was silent for a minute. His face remaining characteristically closed off making it impossible to tell what he was thinking. Sarutobi understood the invasiveness of what they were about to do, and he truly felt sympathy for the young man before him, but stronger than that was the duty he owed to his village. He needed to 200 percent certain that Sasuke wasn't going to be a threat and this was the best, quickest way to ensure that.

Sasuke nodded his head silently and Sautobi then motioned for Inoichi to preform the first jutsu. Once in place, Sarutobi proceeded with the interigation. "What's your name?"

Sasuke scowled suddenly as he surely felt the effects of the jutsu forcing the answer from his mind. "Sasuke Uchiha." He replied easily. At least he wasn't planning to be difficult.

"Of the Uchiha clan?" Sarutobi followed up.

"Yes." Sasuke replied.

Sarutobi nodded. Well, he was who he said he was. They can rule out him being an imposter.

"Where are you from?" The Hokage asked, already knowing the answer.

"Konohagakure." Of course.

"And are you loyal to Konohagakure?" This was what he really needed to answer. This is what really needed to be confirmed above all else.

"Not directly." He confessed surprisingly easily. Minato and Inochi exchanged glances, but Sarutobi remained cool. He knew what the Uchiha was thinking.

"Then where do your loyalties lie?"

Sasuke quickly replied, "Naruto." as if it was hands down, no question. No hesitance. He didn't care how that made him look and Hiruzen wasn't certain what to make of that. To claim allegiance to anyone over the Hokage was to be considered treason. And yet, he had to remember, in Sasuke's time, Naruto was Hokage; even if the title was only a formality. Still, he suspected it wasn't Naruto's title that made Sasuke follow him so faithfully. Either way, as long as the well-being of the Leaf Village was in Naruto's interest, than perhaps it would also be in Sasuke's. It was a gamble, but it was one they had little choice in making. Naruto had made it clear in unspoken ways, that he wasn't going part from Sasuke easily or without good reason so they couldn't very well execute or banish him. Nor could they hold him as a prisoner unless they wanted to feel the Uzumaki's wrath. After only two days of knowing he was alive, Naruto treated Sasuke like he was an apparition. Like he would fade to a cold absence if he was away for too long. They had all noticed it, and for the most part, they could sympathize with him. The behaviour would fade given time, time to grasp that it was real, that the God he had thought left him, had given him a blessing; but it would probably never leave him completely. Time can't make one forget the pain of that loss.