Chapter Sixty Three

Rin and Kakashi walked apprehensively to the training grounds. This was the first time since the. . . incident, that she and Kakashi had truly had the displayed opportunity to talk about something other than missions. Rin wanted to say something, she knew how Obito's death was weighing heavly on Kalashi along with the promise he had made him that he would protect her. The words wouldn't come, she would open her mouth but then with one glance his way the words faltered into silence.

Kakashi, who had his nose in a book like he always did lately, sensed her discomfort and hesitation, feeling guilty because he was the cause. "I'm alright Rin." he told her, trying his best to sound genuine. He didn't want her to worry about him. Especially not in light of the new training she had committed herself to.

Rin looked at him doubtfully. Before she had time to respond though, they had arrived at the training ground. It took them a minute to locate their teacher. They had expected to find Naruto relaxing under his tree like he always was when the met for training, but today he was sitting on the middle of the three wooden stumps that they had used in the bell test. His long legs were criss-cross and his hands each rested on his knees. His eyes were closed and the rythmic rise and fall of his chest was the only hint that he wasn't simply a statue. Stiffness aside though, he looked so peaceful and beautiful illuiminated in the early dawn. He looked like he was a piece of the nature around him. Even the birds seemed to relish his still calm as they flew in happy circles above him, occasionally resting on his shoulders.

The sight was so unearthly and strange that before she could stop it, a laugh bubbled from Rin's lips. She instantly regretted it when Naruto opened his eyes and the birds fled back to the trees. As he approached them Rin noticed his irises fading from a strange golden colour, back to their usual cerulean blue.

"Hello." he greeted. His voice was lighter than it usually was and the dark bags that seemed to have made a permanent home under his eyes were gone, leaving Naruto looking much younger and impossibly more handsome. Rin fought back a blush and Kakashi shot her an amused look, noticing her fluster. It only made her cheeks more red.

The two young ones gave their own greetings and then without any of the usual pass of plesentries Naruto got down to buisness. "Did you bring your gloves?" he asked Rin. She snapped out of her flustered state and nodded her head sharply and proudly produced two ivory leather gloves. Naruto took them in his own hands to inspect them, rubbing the fabric between his fingers. He asked her to put them on and then examined their fit.

"They were my mothers." Rin said sheepishly to explain their largeness. Naruto nodded.

"They will do for today, we will get you different ones later." he promised with a wave of his hand. "For now though, you won't need them."

Rin took them off and tucked them in her weapons pouch that was at her hip.

"Alright so before we begin our lessons, I need to see your fighting style. That's why you're here." he said, now pointing to a despondent Kakashi.

Kakashi frowned. "Why don't you fight her yourself?" he asked. He wasn't necessarily complaining, he just wanted to know. After all, in his experience, Naruto usually knew what he was doing.

"Because Little Man, I would get a better idea of her exact techniques if I observe from a distance first. Besides from that, I wanted to work on your chakra control if you're up to it. It will help you control that eye of yours and also with wielding the Chidori." he explained. Kakashi agreed, having nothing better to do.

Naruto nodded, satisfied. "Good. No rules except don't go easy." he said to Kakashi. "And don't hold back." he said to Rin. After putting a good distance between himself and the students, he gestured for them to begin.