Chapter Sixty Four

Minato loved Wednesdays. Every other Wendsday, given he had no missions, he got the day off to do whatever he wanted. Today Minato wanted to sleep. The blankets where heavy and warm and absolute heaven, he wanted to stay there all day and not move once. Yes, that sounded nice. Minato smiled and snuggled further into the bed's warmth much like a child would. He dully noted that the only thing that could possibly make him more content at that moment would be of his beautiful wife Kushina was beside him, but she was away on mission at the moment so he was all alone in the large bed.

Minato was just on the edge of sleep when a loud knocking rang through his apartment. He startled from his serene stupor. Had he imagined it? No, he decided when it came again only a few moments later. Minato briefly considered ignoring the person until they went away, but he knew couldn't do that. What if it was Kakashi who had been coming by more and more lately? Or Rin who had just started a new training regimen with Naruto and Lady Tsunade of all people? What if something urgent happened and Minato was desperately needed in the Hokage's office?

A third set of knocks rang in Minato's ear pushing him regretfully out of the cream coloured sheets. Passing through the kitchen on his way Minato mournfully noted it was only nine thirty in the morning. Way too early.

His internal monologue of mumbled profanities halted when the one on the other side was someone he most definitely hadn't considered would ever visit.

"Uh, Naruto, what a surprise." Minato greeted. A small flower of happiness bloomed in his chest. His son actually sought him out. He wasn't avoiding him anymore. Minato smiled.

Naruto grinned back, but it was hesitant and a little unsure. "Hey Minato," he responded. He hadn't taken to calling Minato 'dad', not wanting to make the other man uncomfortable or feeling that just because he was technically Naruto's father that he was obligated to act like it. "I actually wanted your help on something I've been working on for awhile." He looked pointedly at his hands that were holding several notebooks and a horrifying amount of loose papers along with a paper bag balanced precariously in top of it all. The way he said it made it clear that it was simply a request and one Minato could turn down if he wanted. Like Minato would ever do that though, really.

"Yeah of course, come in." Minato said coolly, but inside he practically squealing he was so pleased. Naruto wanted his help! Progress.

Naruto nodded gratefully and stepped thorough the door. He immediately went the kitchen table and dumped all the books and papers carefully on the surface. "Ah, do you mind?" he asked. Minato shook his head and watched fascinated as he immediately began organizing the books and various stacks of paper around the edges of the table and took out a large map and spread it out in the center along with a smaller one that he laid off the side.

"I'll go make some tea." Minato offered. "Are you hungry?" he asked.

Naruto smiled. "I bought breakfast on the way." he said gesturing to the paper bag. "I hope you like ramen and rice balls."

"Mhm." Minato mumbled with a smirk. Kushina.

Fifteen minutes later the two were all set with tea and ramen and rice balls. "So, what did you need my help with?" Minato asked, breaking the trivial conversation they had been immersed in.

Naruto frowned unpleasantly and set his bowl that he had been eagerly devouring aside, half finished. His open expression  turned serious as he sighed. "I think it's about time we locate Obito. Rin and Kakashi will go on a mission in about a month or two and that's when it will happen." he didn't have to elaborate. Naruto had told Minato all about Rin getting kidnapped and her ultimate death. Suddenly he wasn't so hungry either.

"Right." Minato said eyes immediately going to the maps where he noticed for the first time, the markings drawn across them. "So how do we go about this?"