Chapter Fourty Three

Naruto was late to the next team meeting. He had just gotten back from a mission of securing the boarders between the Land of Fire and the Land of Wind. He had run into a few troublesome Sand ninja who had made camp just inside their borders, but those were easily delt with. Like the time with the Cloud ninja on his previous mission with the rest of Team Seven, Naruto hadn't actually killed the Suna intruders, he mearly left them with severe injuries and dropped them off at the Suna gates. The gaurds had tried their best to capture the unwelcomed visitor, but Naruto's speed was simply remarkable and not something they had been prepared for, making a quick escape as easy as breathing for the seasoned, yet young, shinobi. The mission was only supposed to take three days, but with the extra travel, Naruto was back in four.

After reporting to the Hokage - which he found was strange as he was used to others reporting to him - he had gone on his way to meet the rest of the team at the training grounds.

"Hello." he called as he strutted in all casually. Minato gave him a warm smile.

"Naruto. I thought you were supposed to get back yesterday."

Naruto shrugged. "Yeah I was, but I ran into some. . . delays." the Namikaze nodded in understanding.

"Hey Naruto!" Obito came up to him, beaming as he often was, followed closely by Rin. Kakashi was on the other side of the grounds, sparring the blonde a glance and no more.

"Hey Obito." Naruto replied. "Hello Rin." he added on to his greetings.

Rin waved at him. "So how was your mission?" she asked him.

"Fine." his reply was short and he didn't elaborate any further. It was clear that the blonde-haired Uzumaki was tired, they all doubted that he got any sleep.

Minato put a hand on his shoulder and Naruto tried not to flinch from the contact. Tried, but failed. The Namikaze frowned. "Why don't you go home and get some rest for now." he suggested. "We were just wrapping this training session up anyways."

That was kind of a lie. Naruto knew that, but he also knew that if his father was anything like himself, he wouldn't allow objection. And so Naruto agreed.

Just as he was walking off Minato remembered something. "By the way, while you were gone, Kakashi was promoted to jounin." he called happily, and it was obvious he was proud. (A/n I know it's a little different in the anime, it's okay. Don't worry about it.)

Naruto on the other hand, froze. He knew the devastating event that closely followed Kakashi's jounin promotion. Kannabi Bridge. The mission that would, in a way, prove to be critical in causing the Fourth Shinobi War, and so much death along with it.

"Congratulations Little Man." Naruto almost choked on his words as he raised his voice enough for the small new jounin to hear. He covered his vocal error with a small, believable coughing fit.

Kakashi stopped what he was doing and nodded in thanks as he made his way over to them at last.

"I'm proud of you." Naruto told him. And he was. He was proud that his future sensei had made jounin. It was fear that theatened to rob the sincerity from his voice.

Once the Little Man was close enough, Naruto ruffled Kakashi's silver hair in a now familiar gesture, and gave him a smile. Kakashi rolled his eyes at the action. "Thanks." he drawled. What he didn't express was the warm feeling of accomplishment that he felt as the words fell from Naruto's mouth. He was proud of him. Somehow it felt almost like when Minato - the only person he had that was even close to being a parental figure in his life - said it and that angered the Hatake immensely.

A last wave to the others and Naruto headed off the way he came, with no true intentions of getting any rest.

|¤|Ω|¤|