Chapter 9

The next day, Alexis woke up and went downstairs, walking into the kitchen. She poured some cereal and walked into the living room, sitting on the couch and turning the tv on.

"Good morning, Alexis." Esme said, walking into the room.

"Hey Esme." Alexis said. Esme sat down and watched tv with Alexis. A couple minutes later, Alexis was in her room getting dressed, when she heard a loud crash. She quickly finished getting ready and rushed downstairs.

"What happened?" Alexis asked.

"Alice saw something." Jasper said.

"What is it, Alice?" Edward asked.

"The Volturi are coming." Alice answered.

"What!" The rest of the family said.

"Why?" Rosalie asked. "What do you they want?"

"They're coming for Alexis." Alice said. They all looked at Alexis, who was so confused.

"Can someone please explain." Alexis said. "Who is the Volturi and why are they coming for me?"

"The Volturi coven is the most powerful vampire coven." Carlisle explained. "They enforce the vampire laws."

"They're pretty much like royalty for vampires." Edward explained.

"I lived with them for a while in the early 1800s, before coming to America." Carlisle said.

"Oh ok." Alexis said. "What do they want with me?"

"We don't know." Carlisle said. "Has anything out of the ordinary happened lately?"

"Well, yesterday while I was out hunting, I met this guy. He thought I was human and started to feed on me and I told him I was half vampire half human. He said name was Alec." Alexis explained.

"Alec!" Alice said. "He's part of the Volturi."

Carlisle started pacing the room. "Dammit." He said, cursing* under his breath.

"Carlisle, what's wrong!" Esme asked.

"Ever since Alexis was born, I've done everything I could to make sure the Volturi never find out about her." Carlisle said.

"Why?" Alexis asked.

"Because, you're different from the rest of us." Carlisle said. "I don't know what Aro would do if he found out about you." He continued to pace around the room.

"Alice, do you know when they're coming?" Esme asked.

"No." Alice answered.

"What are we going to do?" Rosalie asked.

"I don't know." Carlisle said. "But we need to come up with something soon."

Alexis broke down, crying on the couch. "I'm sorry." She said, between sobs. "I shouldn't of said anything to the guy. I'm really really sorry." She continued to cry. Carlisle sat down next to her and put his arm around her.

"Sweetheart, it's ok. I'm not angry or upset with you." Carlisle said. "You just need to be more careful when telling people that you're half vampire half human, okay."

"Ok." Alexis said. "What's going to happen to me?"

"You're going to be fine." Carlisle said. "We'll figure something out. I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"Ok." Alexis said.

"I have an idea." Edward said.

"Well, let's hear it." Emmett said.

"What if someone checks on Alexis every hour and makes sure she's ok?" Edward said. "And when the Volturi get here, one of us will take her somewhere safe, while the rest of us deal with the Volturi."

"That might work." Carlisle said.

Throughout the day, someone would check on Alexis. She found it a little annoying, but she knew they were doing it to protect her. That night, Alexis put her pajamas on, got into bed and fell asleep. While she was sleeping, a figure came into her room, picked her up and carried her out the window.