Four

M E G A N

 Jayda helped me take my mind off Rachel and her friends. I'm glad Jayda's my friend. She is the best!  While I was talking with Jayda, I saw a familiar looking blonde who looked very angry. Maybe I had seen her in magazines or something. She looked like an older version of Rachel. After Jayda had left, I went back to the kitchen and helped my mum with the cooking. 

We had a youth group meeting at church and I was the group's leader and so I could not afford to be late. I tried to finish up with my chores as fast as I could. I took my red and yellow sundress which was already ironed and wore it hurriedly. I quickly said goodbye to Mum and Steven. I saw Rachel entering her Porsche just as I was about to make my way to the Gracefield Church. I contemplated whether to ask for a ride or to just pretend that I did not see Rachel and continue walking. The Porsche's headlights shone brightly on the street. Suddenly, the car stopped. The windows were brought down and Rachel's face came into view.

"Hey. We're headed towards the same place. Do you need a ride?" Rachel said.

  I only nodded and got into the Porsche. I looked around me. The leather seats were very new. There was an awkward silence as I read my Bible. We arrived at last. I was just in time. The church's auditorium was already packed. I got out of the Porsche and muttered a 'thank you" to Rachel. Rachel stayed outside in the Porsche. When I was called on, I mounted the stage and began to preach.

 After church closed, Rachel drove me back home. I studied her carefully. She looked the same, nothing had changed. She had the same blonde hair and those blue eyes. So why had she been nice to me? Why was she doing at church anyway? Don't get me wrong, I am not all against it when she goes to church, but that is not what people like her do on a Friday night. I shook my head as I thought of this. People are so complicated.

      I would probably talk to Jayda about it later. Oh! I almost forgot - Jayda had already left for London. She left for London earlier to spend the summer with her family because her grandmother is a member of the royal family or something like that.

"I did not know that  you were friends with Rachel", Mum said when I got out of the Porsche.

"Umm.. we're just not really close", I said.

My mum did not respond and went back into the house. I followed her and saw my dad sitting on the couch. I was overjoyed! I ran quickly to hug him.

"I've missed you so much!" I said and hugged my dad even tighter.

"Woahh.. I've missed you too, baby girl", my dad replied.

Steven came out from nowhere and jumped into my dad's arms. I just loved these family moments. I thought I saw Rachel looking out of the window in her bedroom with sadness in her eyes (she was my next - door neighbour) 

I had seen that look before. It looked like she wanted to be part of the small family reunion. She had never been a part of a real family before. The only "family" she had was her grandmother. Rachel lived just across the street from my house. We stared at each other for some time and then I looked away.

"I will be staying here just for two days because I have some important work to do in Oklahoma", Dad said.

"When will you leave?" I asked after a few awkward minutes of silence.

"Tomorrow night. I just want to spend time with my family first", Dad replied.

   The next day, I went to school earlier than usual because Steven had gone on his summer break before mine. And also, it was the last day of school. I just wanted the day to end quickly. Before I knew it, the bell rang for closing assembly. The principal, Mrs. Flowers stood on the podium while we sat on the bleachers.

"I want to congratulate all those who have contributed greatly to the school this semester. and all those who have not yet contributed, I hope you will do that next semester. I wish you all have a good and wonderful summer! Stay Safe!" Mrs. Flowers said.

There were loud cheers and applauds from the students when Mrs. Flowers dismissed us. When I was removing my personal stuff from my locker, Danie and Leah stood in my way--again. I was glad I would not be seeing them again for some weeks!

"Bye, Megan. We will miss you and all of your fashion failures!" Danie said.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Here!" Leah said and handed me a huge red album.

I shoved the book in my bag without looking in it. Last semester, she gave me an album full of pictures that showed when I slipped and fell, which was not infrequently. My cell phone rang and I pressed the answer button.

"Hello?" I said. I heard my dad's voice respond. I couldn't believe it! It was really him!

"Dad is it you?" I asked to make sure it was really him.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm at your school, dear. I'm at the parking lot."

"Ok, I'll be there", I said and hung up.

My dad was outside to pick me up! My mind was whirling with all the fun things I would do with my Dad before he traveled again.