Six

M E G A N

 I looked out of the bus window and saw my mother and Steven waving at me. As I waved back, I knew I would really miss them. I had woken up extra early to pack my clothes and say my final goodbyes. Some people offered to help me but I turned them down and carried my luggage myself. I entered the big, yellow bus and saw Rachel half - asleep with her earphones plugged in both ears. We had not even started the journey,  how could she fall asleep?  I wondered. I was shocked and surprised that Rachel was sitting right there. I thought that she would be in New York with her mother.

 I know that it's eavesdropping but I couldn't help but to listen to the argument between Rachel's mum and grandmother. I sat by another friend at church, Stacey. She was a good friend, I guess, but she couldn't replace Jayda. Stacey is very talkative and in the one hour I spent with her, she talked about almost everything that was important to her. We finally arrived at the Gracefield Church Camp, a building built purposely to hold church camps. It was around 4:30 p.m.

The walls of the storey - building were painted with dark shades of blue and white. The words "Gracefield Church Camp" were inscripted on the black gate. The storey - building was surrounded by a manicured lawn and all kinds of trees. I was relieved to get out of the bus and get some fresh air.

 We all trooped out of the bus and assembled in a huge assembly hall. Rachel's grand - mother stood on the podium. Her white, silky hair was tied in a bun and she covered her hair with a scarf. She wore a white halter top with a pink tie-dyed skirt. There was a huge banner which read "Christian Summer School" in red and yellow colours.

 "Welcome, everybody! I'm so glad you're all here and you chose to spend your summer vacation here. I hope you engage in some of the activities and enjoy your stay here.Your counsellors will help you fill your forms. I officially launch the Christian Summer School in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Thank you all for coming! " Rachel's grandmother said.

We were dismissed and everyone walked out of the assembly hall. Once we were outside, the new campers filled out some forms. I was an old member at camp. Eveybody was given a bunk number and the bunk's schedule. I was helped to find my bunk by Matthew Simpson, a camp counsellor in training. I said a 'thank you" and staggered to Bunk 4A.

 Lots of girls had already begun unpacking their clothes. I looked all around me. There was only one bunk bed that wasn't occupied. I started to unpack my clothes. I noticed that almost everybody was laughing and chatting. As usual, I was invisible. I tried to shake of the feeling of loneliness and pulled out my Bible from my red tote bag and began to read.

 A few minutes later, the sound of a ringing bell was heard in the distance and everybody was led to the dining hall which was a few metres away from Bunk 4A. The dining hall was enormous and there were many benches and tables. The walls were painted with a light shade of green. All kinds of food were on display on a huge brown wooden table. Groups of people had already found places to sit. I sighed. 

Why does this always have to happen to me? I wondered. Even though I was an old member at camp, I always found it difficult to make new friends. Other old members rarely came to camp and the worst of it was that I was hardly ever spoken to. After we had finished eating the spaghetti and meatballs we were served, we were dismissed and went back to our bunks.

There was a meeting for all camp counsellors and so the bunks were very noisy. Lots of girls were already dressed in their nightgowns and pajamas. After a while, the noise reduced until it finally died down. Rachel and I were the only ones awake.

 She looked as if she was looking for something and she had a clueless expression on her face. She was wearing what looked like an expensive pink lace nightgown. I thought that being at camp, that was too luxurious, but I didn't blame her. I guess that's how all rich people are. She got down from the bunk bed I was sharing with her. I noticed that she was wearing high heels and had some make-up on.

"I need to go to the restroom urgently and I need directions", Rachel said.

"Go straight ahead and turn. It's the first door on your right", I said dryly.

"I love your dress", Rachel told me as she was leaving.

I looked down at the nightgown. It was a cotton nightgown with a red and yellow flower pattern designed on it. My dad had bought it for me when I was thirteen as a birthday present. I had been wearing it for as long as I could remember and it suited me well. I do not really care for clothes but I was wondering if I should start working on my appearance. My mind was jumbled with clothes and Rachel and soon I fell asleep.