Fourteen

M E G A N

   Right after helping Rachel pack her things, I packed my own things which were not much as compared to Rachel's. There are so many things about her I know I'll never understand, no matter how hard I try. I mean, how many clothes does she need to wear? The camp lasted for only two weeks. i'm sure she didn't even wear some of the clothes she brought along with her to camp. I looked at my watch. 3:30 p.m. Just a few minutes till the bus arrived. I said goodbye to everyone in my bunk before heading towards the large parking lot. The bus had arrived and thousands of teenagers rushed to find a seat. I found one just in time. As I sat in the bus, I pondered over all that had happened during the two weeks at camp. It was very stressful and hectic but I came through it. I'm just glad it's all over. Approximately thirty minutes later, the bus halted in front of my home. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned. It was Matthew. He wore a bright blue polo shirt which showed off his tanned skin. I woke up instantly and realized I had been drooling- how embarrasssing! I quickly wiped the saliva off and got off the bus. Steven, who came from nowhere, hugged me the moment I got off the bus.

"Your little brother, huh?" Matthew asked me.

I nodded,. Dazed, I went to my bedroom and flopped down on my bed. I was so exhausted. Mum was absent as usual. Soon, I dozed off. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

"Megan, Megan. Wake up!" Steven said.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"It's 4:30, I think", Steven replied.

I got up groggily.

"Is Mum here yet?" I asked.

"No".

"Then what are you doing here?"

"i'm hungry".

'Ok.. I'll fix something up".

     I got up lazily from the bed and headed downstairs. I heard my phone ringing. I picked it up from under the pillow. I immediately recognized Jayda's phone number.

"Jayda? Is this really you?"

"Yeah. Who else would it be? I've missed you so much!"

'Yeah. Same here. So how's London?"

"It's great! I'm actually enjoying myself ere. So how was camp?"

"It was great. I know you won't believe it, but Rachel was at camp".

"Really? Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I am. She was really there".

"So, like, did she get kicked out or something?"

I was alarmed at the question Jayda asked me.

"No, she didn't".

"Oh, ok. Let's video chat. We have so much to talk about!"

"Sure. i'll video chat with you".

I wasn't sure the person I saw staring back at me. She looked like a totally different person. Is this what makeup does to people? Seriously? Our conversation was very awkward. We talked about school, friends, London, the summer camp and almost everything! Then, Jayda said something that totally struck me. She told me she would be returning to Minnesota very soon. I was excited but a little scared. If i couldn't recognize the Jayda I saw on my phone screen, how would I recognize her when I actually see her? We said our goodbyes and I made my way towards the kitchen, pondering over the conversation I had with Jayda. i mean, she didn't call or try to contact me when she was in London and then all of a sudden she calls and tells me she's returning home soon? What's up with that? And how was my friendship with Rachel going to affect my friendship with Jayda? Why on earth was my life so complicated?