Ten

M E G A N

I couldn't stop myself from squealing with excitement when I was finally released from detention. My release came at the right time because I was on the team of organizers for the huge party that would be thrown on the last night we would spend at the Christian Summer School. It was hard work, but a lot of fun too. There were lots of food, drinks games and contests on that night. Awards were also given to people who performed well in various activities organized during the camp. Every year, different bunks set up the annual party.

 My bunk, Bunk 4A was responsible for organizing the party. Parents were invited and I hoped that somehow, Mum would take some time off her busy schedule and attend to the function with Steven. I missed them both so much!

Those on the organizing team, including me were given a permission slip in order to leave the camp and buy the necessary things needed for the upcoming party. We were also given a tight budget to follow, but I knew we would do something great. I was very excited to be going out to shop with all the other people on the organizing team. I just hate being stuck in the same place for a long time.

 Once we arrived at the mall, we were put into various groups. I was put into a group with Marissa, Naomi and Matthew. We were in charge of the decorations like ribbons, balloons, confetti, streamers, paper decorations and such. After hours spent choosing what colours and decorations we liked best, we finally finished our shopping. 

While Naomi and Marissa went to pay for everything, Matthew and I were left alone. I glanced around the store where lots of dresses hung on different racks. One particular dress caught my eye. It was a knee - length blue satin dress decorated with sequins and ribbons. I looked at the price tag and it was $500. Sheesh! There was no way I could afford the dress even if I wanted it.

"Do you like this dress?" Matthew asked, his hands running across the soft material.

I turned away, hoping he would just leave me alone. hat did he want from me?

"If you want, I could buy it for you", Matthew said, his gaze flitting from me to the dress.

"Do I look like a charity to you? Or someone you just donate stuff to?" I blurted out louder than I intended.

"It's a gift", Matthew answered simply.

Okay. That was logical.

"Why?" I asked suspiciously.

"Does there have to be a reason?'

"Well, thanks for the offer but I'm rejecting it", I said and walked towards the checkout point where Marissa and Naomi were.

Soon enough, everyone was done buying all the things we needed and we were back at the camp. I trudged into Bunk 4A, very exhausted. I looked at the numerous messages I had sent to Jayda. She still hadn't replied. I really missed her. My mind wandered as I thought about Stacey. She was a very good friend and helped me get my mind off Jayda most of the time. 

That didn't mean I never thought about Jayda. We always went to Christian Summer School together since we were both 12. So it was weird being here without her. She sent me some pictures she had taken in London. Sometimes, we video chat but it would never replace seeing Jayda face - to - face.

 When I sat on my bed, I felt an object. Confused, I  checked under my pillow. It was a gift beautifully wrapped in a pink and purple. It had a note attached to it. 

I know you wanted this dress.

Lots of love,

Anonymous

The only thing I could think of was - who would give this gift to me? The only people I could think of were Rachel and Matthew. I didn't think Rachel would send a gift to me - but she did say something about trying to get me something because of the trouble she had put me into. But was Rachel kind enough to send me such a gift? 

And Matthew, he wanted to buy a dress for me when we were at the store a few hours ago. Well, enough of the suspense. I have to see what this mysterious gift is. I told myself. I carefully tore open the wrapper and out tumbled the dress I had seen at the store. The exact same thing. There was no difference at all. Was it just a coincidence? 

Soon, it dawned on me that Matthew had sent me this gift. Who else would it be? Rachel didn't know that I wanted this dress badly. It was only Matthew who wanted to buy this dress for me. The question was: Why? I was so angry that I threw the gift box on the floor. Did Matthew think I was cheap? That he would get close to me by buying clothes for me? Well, if he wanted me to wear this dress, I wouldn't! It would teach him a very good lesson. I tried to calm down and looked around the room. Linda was sitting right in front of my bed, reading a fashion magazine.

"Um--Linda, did you see anyone place anything on my bed?" I asked.

"No",  Linda replied without looking at me.

So did this mean he sneaked into the bunk or did someone else do it for him? Either way, I was not going to wear that dress and I would return his gift box to him.