Eight

M E G A N

After we finished having our breakfast, we had Bible Study and Pastor Jeff was taking us throughout the summer camp. He really inspired me when he preached. It was like he spoke straight to your heart. I looked all around me. Rachel was nowhere to be found. I sighed. I guessed so. It wasn't unusual of Rachel to skip anything. It was a norm in her life. When we were done with that, we had camp activities. 

Every bunk had different camp activities each day. Our bunk had swimming as our camp activity that day and we were sent to our bunk to change into our swimsuits and such. Almost everyone was excited, that is, everyone except me. Swimming and I don't get along very well. I just hate it and I'm more comfortable with earth than water. 

I didn't have a swimsuit and so I just wore a white tank top and denim knee - length shorts. When Rachel finished dressing up and came into the room, everyone immediately became silent and stared at her. I sighed. Everywhere Rachel went, she dressed exquisitely and everybody was stunned and awed by her beauty.

A few minutes later, girls literally attacked Rachel, admiring the reddish - pink swimsuit Rachel had put on. She accessorized it with black sunglasses and matching pink flip - flops. She was one of the few people who had their ears pierced. 

She shoved and pushed through the crowd and headed outside. The admiring girls excitedly followed her. Why does this always happen to her? I wondered. It's not like I wanted to be like her. It's just that she's popular and all. I guess maybe, I'm jealous, I don't know. 

The bunk prefect, Dawn, headed outside with the rest of the girls trailing behind, including me. Once we were outside, a cool breeze hit me and everyone excitedly gathered around the swimming pool. I groaned. 

What did people like about swimming? The swimming pool was very beautiful. The aquamarine tiles made the water seem blue. No one was interested  in swimming anymore. All their attention was on Rachel.

 Boys gaped at her and people took out their phones and other electronic devices to take pictures. The lifeguard was even flirting with her. What was Rachel doing here when her only aim was to show off? I sat by the edges of the pool, gazing at the aquamarine tiles which shone brightly. Little did I know that Rachel, who was behind me, pushed me and I fell into the water. Immediately, that happened, everyone was silent. The lifeguard jumped into the swimming pool and dragged me out of the water. I coughed and wheezed and soon enough, I felt fine.

I was drenched from head to toe. My brown hair and clothes were wet. I squeezed the water out. I had a terrible scolding from the lifeguard.

"You know you could've died out there! What is wrong with you?", he asked me.

"I didn't do anything. One moment I was sitting at the edge of the pool and the next moment I was...", I started but was interrupted by Rachel.

"Your argument is pointless, Megan. One of the rules is that you shouldn't sit at the edge of the pool", Rachel told me.

"But I was pushed. I felt it", I said.

"You have no proof", Rachel told me. She was standing right in front of me.

"So you are trying to say  that I just fell into the water?" I asked.

"Exactly. You're catching up", Rachel smiled a fake smile at me.

"That's enough bickering, girls", Dawn said sternly.

Dawn handed me a towel and I went to the bathroom to clean myself up. I didn't know this, but Rachel was following me. It was only when I looked into the mirror that I saw her. I jumped, my heart beating three times faster. She had scared me.