Chapter: Friends After All

It is Friday. Leslie is siting with me in the cafeteria. She made me a small strawberry cake. It is so good, like a creamy cloud of heaven.

"It's good," I say.

"thanks," she smiles. "So umm,"

"Yeah?"

"Here," she gets a black bracelet out of her backpack. "we have seven days of friendship."

She puts a homemade bracelet on my left wrist. "I made it yesterday."

I touch it, it has black beads and white ones. In the middle it has two silver beads. It is simple but nice. "I didn't know you celebrated this kind of things," I say, "I didn't get you anything."

She chuckles, "It's stupid I know, but you are my first friend here. I wanted to show how much appreciation I have for you."

"We are friends huh?" I ask. We have been hanging out during lunch these past days. She isn't that annoying, but still pretty weird. People have given us the weird look, I don't care. She doesn't either.

It feels nice to have someone I can rely on.

"Yes," she smiles, "I really hope so."

I nod. "Yeah sure whatever."

"So, how is school going? I only have you in math class, so I don't see you most of the day," she asks.

"Okay," I answer.

"And are you going to study for next week's quiz?" she asks, "I was wondering if we can study together."

"Umm, well, it's easy," I say, "do you need help?"

"No, just-just wanted to ask you that, it's fine," she says nervously. "We can just study alone."

"Yeah," I nod. I finish the cake and we clean up. Leslie throws the trash and I stand. I get my cane and wait for her to come back. I look around and see Troy kissing Florence in their table. They seperate and Florence giggles. She looks cute.

"Hey," Leslie says, "you like her?"

I look at her, "No." I begin to walk to the exit, so I can head to my next class.

"Wait," Leslie grunts, "you walk too fast."

"Ha," I say.

"Do you know that girl?" Leslie asks. I stop at the classroom door. It's locked. I look at Leslie who is taking off her sweater. She has a long red t-shirt on with jeans. 

"I knew her," I answer.

Leslie puts the sweater around her hips and looks at me. "So, you were friends?"

"She was my girlfriend," I say.

"Oh," Leslie, "then this is awkarwd huh? We can stop it here."

I nod in agreement. We wait by the door in silence. The bell rings and Leslie says goodbye. "I see you on Monday," she smiles.

"Sure."

I go in the classroom and the day goes on normal.

...

Saturday:

Lu wants me to go with her to the store. "Why?" I ask.

"For you to breathe air! Let's go," she gets my arm and tries to stand me up. I wine, "No!"

She slaps my head, "ouch!"

"Get up!" she yells. Fine...

I am at the store with Lu. She is driving the cart into the fruit and vegetables aisle.