Chapter: Talk

WEDNESDAY

Claire and I are waiting for Leslie in the cafeteria. She is with Jacob at the nurses' since he slipped and scratched his arm.

Claire helps me get the food plate and we sit down. "So, how are you?" she asks.

I bite the burger and shrug. "Okay."

Claire begins to eat her vegetables and we eat in silence. Leslie and Jacob come by ten minutes later.

"There was so much blood!" Jacob whines.

"Get over it!" Claire yells, "Cheese, you didn't die right?"

Leslie chuckles, "Leave him alone. It did seem painful."

I pat his back, "Man up dude."

We all finish eating and chill out until Leslie and I walk to my class. This has been somewhat of a routine now. We eat as a group but Leslie and I leave early and she walks me to my class.

"How is your auntie?" I ask her.

"Fine," she smiles.

"And how about work?"

She shrugs and gets the straps of her backpack. Her messy bun goes to the side as she stops in front of me. "Can you believe I am going to bake for the mayor?" she asks.

"What?" I ask. We stop walking.

She sighs, "We got this big order for cookies, cupcakes, and a cake. Apparently, the mayor's birthday is on Saturday."

"whoa," I say, "Cool cool. You nervous?"

She nods, "Totally, I am basically the boss of the order. If someone messes up, it will be my responsibility. I just don't want to mess it up. I am going to get paid good as well."

I chuckle, "I wonder though, who got your boss's bakery as a reference?"

Leslie smiles, "It was your mom?"

"I think so," I chuckle, "believe it or not my mom is friends with some certain people."

"Wow, she is that nice?" Leslie asks.

I poke her stomach, "My mom is nice, she is just special."

The bells rings and Leslie says goodbye and I walk in class. The day goes on with me only learning about the Cold War.

I go home and ask Lu where my mom is. "Work," Lu answers.

"Do you know anything about her recommending Leslie to anyone?" I ask.

Lu smiles, "Yes yes! I did that. I told her friends who wanted cake, and I said Leslie. Your mother approved of her and friend called bakery."

I smile. "Thanks Lu."

"No problem, now rest and do homework."

"I have no homework!" I exclaim as I get upstairs.

"Hey," Stan stops me midway. "have you seen my car keys?"

"no," I answer. I open my room door and go in.

"Sooo," Stan comes in, "how is it going with Leslie?" I sit and look at him. "Why did you ask that question in that tone?"

He smiles, "Come on, it's been weeks since you guys know each other, you really don't like her?"

"No, she is my friend, I do like her, but not like that," I say. "Why are you asking me that?"

"Well, just wondering, in case she gets attention from other guys I don't want you to feel bad or jealous," Stan answers.

"I'm not," I say. "Now leave with your stupid questions. And have you checked your jean pocket for the key?"