Chapter: Is it worth it?

"If we get our self-esteem from superficial places, from our popularity, appearance, business success, financial situation, health, any of these, we will be disappointed, because no one can guarantee that we'll have them tomorrow"- Kathy Ireland

....

It is November. Today is the last day for Thanksgiving break. It has been a month that Leslie stopped talking to me. To be honest, I haven't tried to talk to her. She isn't putting any effort either.

"Babe?" Florence waves her hand in front of my face.

I shake my head, "What?" I look around and we are in the cafeteria. I turn to my left and see Florence frowning. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I answer. I touch her hand. "What's happening?"

"The president wants to meet you," Florence gives me a dorky smile.

I look up at see Lin standing proudly and smiling at me. She waves hi.

"Oh hey," I say.

She nods. "Hi Derek, how are you?"

"Good, sit," she sits in front of me.

"What can I help you with?" I ask her.

Lin smiles, "well I see how you interact with your classmates and faculty now. You become the Derek I wanted to beat in last year's run."

I chuckle, "Yeah I remember."

"And well, I would like it if you became a member of my cabinet. Having you in my team can make many students happy. We can work together and make things happen for the school."

"You mean, be like an advisor?" I ask.

"Yes,"

"That's great Derek!" Florence smiles.

"Do you think people will be happy?" I ask both girls. They nod happily.

"Alright," I smile. "I will be happy to."

"Great! Going to post a message on social media!" Lin stands and offers her hand. I shake it and she leaves happily.

Florence kisses my cheek and congratulates me. "So happy you are becoming the old you and trying to change for the better."

"Thanks for being with me."

....

The day goes on. I am in my last class waiting for the bell to ring. I am putting my books in my backpack.

"Hey," Felipe sits in front of me in a desk.

"Hey dude, how was the soccer game? I heard you had a friendly game at the park," i ask

He smirks, " we won bro!"

"Awesome," I high five him.

"Hey, so is you and that weird Leslie girl still friends?" He asks.

"Umm, why?"

He smiles, "she got super cute."

"So?"

"Well, that's not what I was going to say, but she saved a guy from getting beat up by the seniors from a different school yesterday."

"Really?"

"Yeah, and like the newspaper is printing a story of it. Plus, she is also raising money for this other kid in school. Did you know some people are poor at this school? I didn't know."

"Yeah, some kids have special permission to attend here,"

"Well, I just got curious on why you haven't like made a big deal about your friend's accomplishments," he shrugs.