Chapter: Goodbye

Next day

Lu helps me take a bath. She massages my leg as I am in the tub with bubbles and foam covering me to my neck.

"You knew about Leslie?" I ask her.

"Only knew she was sad," Lu answers.

"What do i do? I was a bad friend. I got so into the parties and people that I forgot about her."

"Now you deal with it," she says.

I guess I do. She is leaving. Even if I apologize on my knees, she is leaving.

I finish and get on a brown long sleeve tshirt with jeans and some Nike shoes. I get my cane and walk downstairs.

Stan is eating next to my mom. I see two plates still there. Who is coming?

"Morning," I say as I sit down.

Mom smiles, "how are you feeling? Stan and your father told me what happened."

I sigh, "yeah."

The door bell rings. I hear footsteps coming our way.

"Morning y'all," it is Harold. I turn and see him with Leslie next to him. She is wearing a similar outfit to mine except her shirt is black and she has boots.

"Thanks for the invite," Leslie smiles at Stan.

"Sit sit," Mom says."my husband had unfinished bussiness,  so he apologizes."

Leslie sits next to my mom and Harold sits next to me.

"Yum, I love some sunny side eggs in the morning," Harold says. I am happy he is in a good mood. Gloria was his love.

We begin to eat. It is quiet but not bad. I do feel weird looking at Leslie.

Once we finish we go sit in the living room.

"How are you Leslie?" Mom asks. "We didn't know about your aunt. I am so sorry."

"It's fine. Thanks," Leslie says. Harold places his hand on hers. "Thanks Mrs. Long, Leslie explain the situation."

He turns to me. I am siting next to my mom. I guess he knows.

"Can we do anything for you?" Mom asks.

"No," Leslie answers, "it's okay."

Stan sits on the arm of the couch next to Leslie. "I want to throw you a dinner to say goodbye. If that's okay with you, your friends can come over as well."

"It's fine, I am not a party person," Leslie says.

"Fine, but we need to go out before you leave," Stan pokes her cheek. She chuckles, "sure."

"So Derek," Harold says, "how is school?"

"Good sir," I answer.

"I saw you with a pretty blonde girl when I went to pick up Leslie's homework,  is she your girlfriend?" He asks.

Why is he asking me this? He sounds upset.

I nod. "Yes. Her name is Florence."

He looks at Leslie. "Isn't that girl you fought with at the hospital?"

"Ssh, Harold please," Leslie quiets him down.

"What happened?" Mom asks.

"Nothing," Harold chuckles, "so how about Leslie and I leave? We need to finish packing."

I stand, "can we talk Leslie please?"

"Okay, well before you leave, I made some cookies of my own," mom smiles. "Stand and Harold, how about we snack on some while the kids talk?"

"Yum, cookies," Stan chuckles. They leave to the kitchen. I offer Leslie my hand. "Can we go to my room and talk?"

She looks up at me. "Why?"

"I don't want to say goodbye having anger and confusion between us," i answer. She stands but doesn't take my hand. I start to walk to my room. Leslie follows me to my room and we sit on my bed.

"What can I help you with?" She asks.

"You are important to me," I say, "I want to clear all the things out."

"Nothing to say, I have nothing to say," Leslie says.

"Why didn't you tell me about all the things that happened?"

"You were so caught up with your popularity," she says. "And I was too focus on my auntie. I was barely talking to Claire or Jacob."

"I heard you saves a guy from a beat down and you raised money for another kid, why?"

"Because they needed my help, and I got two awesome friends because of that," I see a small smile form on her lips. "George and Barry are now my friends."

"That's good, do I know them?"

"Not really,"

"and why did Harold say you fought with Florence?"

She shakes her head. "Nothing."

"Tell me,"

"No, if you want to know you ask her," she says.

Darn, what the hell happened? Why can't she just tell me?

"I'm sorry for being a selfish friend," she says. "But I tried. I understand your decision and your reaction to this new life."

She looks at me. "But I made my promise. I'm happy to be honest of how happy you are."

And why do I feel like crap?

I feel her hand on my leg. I look down and see her squeeze my knee. "I just hate that you ignored all of us. Poor Jacob, he was sad that you didn't even hear him out about his chess club and Claire got mad because you didn't defend her when Florence told her she was a witch."

I did sort of ignore them.

"That just proved to me that you choose all of those people instead of us, which is fine, but it would have been nice of you if you told us right away."

"Im sorry okay?" I look at her. "I-I lost everything. Then I have it back. I don't know how to feel about it."

"You need clarity," Leslie moves her hand to my cheek. "Just take your time."

I quickly grab her hand and kiss it without thinking. "You need to hate me Leslie."

"I love you remember?" She whispers.

I look at her. So I didn't hear wrong. She loves me.

"Im fine. I want to go with Harold to Florida. I can't be here." She takes her hand back. "Goodbye. See you soon." She kisses my cheek and quickly leaves.

She loves me.

I slap myself and get my cane. I try to catch up to her but she is gone.

"Sorry," Stan says. He is standing in front of the door.