Chapter: I kissed her

At school: Tuesday
LESLIE POV
I am looking for Florence or Troy. I wonder what is happening. Derek didn't come to school yesterday due to a doctor's appointment but Florence was absent as well. Troy looked upset all day yesterday.
I finally see Florence but she is with her pretty friends. I take a deep breathe and walk towards them. "Hey Florence," I say.
She turns to me and smiles, "Hey Leslie."
"We see you later," Blanca says annoyingly. She really doesn't like me. The rest of the girls follow her.
"Are you okay?" I ask her. "I was worried because I didn't see you yesterday."
She sighs, "Yeah, just a little problem but everything is okay."
"And Troy?"
Suddenly her face isn't that bright. "He is okay too."
"Florence, I saw him upset all day yesterday."
"Yeah but whatever," she says. She gets my arm and we start to walk towards the cafeteria. "How about a nice breakfast? I pay," Florence smiles at me.
"Sure."
....
"And and! She is a bitch!" Claire yells. The whole cafeteria looks at us.
"Nothing to see!" Jacob says. Everyone goes back to their bussiness.
Florence chuckles, "Wow. Interesting story."
"Why is she siting with us again?" Claire asks Derek. She clearly doesn't like her.
"Because she wants to be our friend," Jacob answers. He smiles at Derek. "Right?"
Derek nods, "Yeah besides she is friends with Leslie."
"Look, I know we don't have a friendly past Claire, but I do want to know you guys better and hang out," Florence lightly smiles.
Claire rolls her eyes, "Sure."
"Hey, where have you been?" Troy suddenly appears behind Florence.
"I am with my friends," Florence answers. She looks at him. "I don't want to talk okay?"
"So these are your friends now?" he asks. "or is Derek only your friend?"
"Shut up," Derek says. "she doesn't want to talk to you. Leave."
"Oh so now you stand up Long," Troy says. He looks at me. "You know something right?"
"Whoa," Claire stands. "Look, I don't care if you are Mr. Popular now, but don't talk to Leslie like that."
"Just leave!" Florence yells. This time everyone turns and gets quiet. "I don't want to talk to you or see you! You don't get that?"
"Florence, what the hell?" Troy asks, "I didn't do anything, why are you upset? Tell me what I did."
"Go to hell," Florence says.
People gasp, including Claire, then she laughs. "Wow! Florence, miss nice pants, is cussing?!"
"Shut up!" Derek yells at Claire.
"Whoa," Jacob and I stand. "why are we fighting now?" Jacob asks.
"You see what you do?" Florence asks Troy. "Get out!"
"Fine," Troy looks at Derek, "you got your girl back jerk. She is no longer mine." Troy walks away and everyone is in shock, including Florence herself. She begins to cry and runs out. Derek goes after her. What happened?
....
"Troy?" I ask him. He is siting in the gym bleachers.
"You are the least person I want to see. You knew Derek kissed Florence right?"
I nod.
He looks at me. "Why didn't you tell Florence or Derek it was wrong? Why didn't you tell me?"
"I-I don't know, but what happened yesterday?"
He lets out a chuckle. "Derek confessed he- he made to love to her."
"I didn't know that, I swear," I walk towards him. I sit in a bleacher in front of him. "I didn't know he was going to do that."
"How can she love him after what he did to her?" he asks. His lower lip begins to trimble and I see tears coming down his face. "and she doesn't remember the way he treated me after the accident. He thought I wanted him in jail but I didn't! But I couldn't lie. It wouldn't have been fair for Billy and his family and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night."
What? What Billy? Derek was going to jail?
"He pushed us away," Troy continues, "I was trying to be a good friend like I know he would have been with me, but he just kept getting angrier and mean everytime we wanted to help. He almost killed himself, even then I still wanted to tell help him and let him know how much I cared, but he didn't care."
My heart keeps on getting punches. I have a huge ache in my throat. Derek killing himself? No, why? He hasn't told me anything. And poor Troy, he lost his best friend and now his love. I touch his cheeks and cup his face. "I'm sorry," I whisper. He looks up at me, "He hasn't told you anything huh? He has been lying to you too?"
"I told him to take his time," I say.
He takes off my hands from his face and holds them in his hands. "You don't like him right? I mean, you aren't falling for him?"
"I dont think so, but I do like someone," I answer. My heart is beating so fast right now that I can barely take in air.
"Do you want me to tell you what happened?" Troy asks.
"Yes."
.....
DEREK POV:
I am kissing her beautiful puffy lips. She is half naked in my bed and moaning non-stop. I love her. I wish I never acted stupid. I wish I never hurt her.
"Derek," she moans agaisnt my ear as I go in. I move my hips faster and she aches her back. I look down at her and she is so beautiful. "Yes, yes, please," she whispers. I kiss her again. I put her arms on top of her head and hold her down.
Oh man, it feels great. Her sweet litt-
"Stop!" Florence yells and pushes me off. She covers herself with my shirt and looks towards the door. I look and see Leslie crying. I quickly stand and put my jeans right. "What are you doing here?" I ask her.
"You!" she slaps Florence. "I made a fool of myself for you in front of Troy! And now I see you fucking with Derek!"
"Whoa," I pull her away, "don't fight."
She pushes me to the bed. "And I made even a bigger fool out of myself for you Derek."
She runs away leaving me confused.
...
Troy told her what happened. He told his point of view of what happened and she believed him. I was scared she was going to but I'm glad he did. I would have probably to make it look like I was the victim all along, but I hurt them more. But now I messed everything up.
"She tried to defend you," Claire said to me over the phone, "she didn't want Troy to think wrong of you. She was trying to defend her best friend."
"And she caught me sleeping with Florence," I finish her thought. "That's why she got pissed."
"Yeah, here she was trying to convince Troy that you still care about him and such, then she sees you fucking with Florence, great job Derek."
Well yeah, good job for me, Leslie was trying to convince Troy to forgive me, for him to think I had sex with Florence was a lie that Florence made up.
It has been a week now. Everytime I try to see Leslie and talk to her, she walks away or even better runs away. She doesn't sit with us anymore, well, I sit with Florence and her friends now. Even if I wanted this a long time ago, I feel miserable without Leslie and even Jacob or Claire.
"Remember, tomorrow Sept. 16, the Chess club and Drama club will be having a meeting afterschool," I hear the vice principal giving the daily announcements out of the speakers in class. "Also, don't forget girls, we will be having our annual Miss Sweetheart event in two weeks, so come on the office to sign up with a $5 fee. Thank you and have a nice day."
Florence pokes my arm. She sits next to me in biology now. She is my girlfriend after all.
"Baby, do you think I can win this time?" Florence asks me.
"The Miss Sunshine thing?" I ask her.
She nods, "Yeah."
"yeah," I lightly smile.
Class begins and soon ends.
"Derek!" a squeaky voice yells behind me as I walk Florence to her car. I stop and turn around and see a short girl running towards me. "Hi, I am Mel Roberts, editor of the newspaper, can I ask you a few questions Long?"
Umm, I look at Florence and she shrugs. "Sure?"
She gets out a notepad and asks me about my relationship with Florence.
"Yeah we are going out," I answer.
"So, does that mean the Queen Bee has found her king again? I mean, you were going out before and you both were totally like hot," Mel asks.
"Okay, why are you asking him these type of questions?" Florence asks.
She sighs, "Well, I have notice the popularity of Derek Long rising again after a year of being mysterious, quiet, and unsocial, then suddenly he is back with the hottest girl in school, so my question is: Is the same Long the soccer player, the student president, coming back?"
I look down at my cane and back at her. "I need a cane to support myself to walk, what makes you think I will be playing soccer again?"
She lightly frowns, "Well, I know, but I basically want to do an article on you, I see how people look at you now ever since that Leslie girl started to talk you, people seem to notice you again and espiecally now that Florence is your girlfriend."
"That's nice," Florence smiles, "maybe you should do it Derek. Let your story be told, don't you want people to know the truth already?"
"What if people hate me more because I say the truth?" I ask.
"I know this isn't my bussiness," Mel says, "But I had classes with you since 7th grade. I saw you become this star, this thing that most guys wanted to be, then after the accident you changed, pushed everyone away, that's why we didn't support you because you didn't want to be supported. I want to this story now because I see that you smile now, truly smile."
And that was because of Leslie....
I look to my right and see her messy bun. I need to talk to her, but she won't listen. I look at Mel, "I do it."
LESLIE POV:
I spot Derek with Florence and a short girl in the parking lot as I walk through it. I quickly stare straight and walk to the bus stop.
A green car stops in front of me and I notice it is a guy from my history class.
"Hey," he smiles, "are you waiting for the bus?"
"Yeah," Okay Leslie stay cool, don't freak out.
"Do you need a ride? I can get you home," he smiles again.
"It's fine," I nod.
"Well, I actually want to talk to you," he says, "I saw your transcript and you are super smart, I am Newton, the Honor Society president, I wanted to know if you have interest in joining us."
I stand and lean agaisnt the window. "Really? You want me?"
He nods, "Sure, and it will look great on your college applications."
I notice how cute he is. He has dark brown curly hair with light color skin, dimples on his cheek and green eyes. "So umm do you want a ride Leslie?"
"Hey!" Derek yells. I look up and see him walking towards me. I don't want to talk to him or see him. I feel angry at him. He approaches me and gets my hand. "Please just listen."
I try to get my hand back but he is holding it tight. "Let me go," I say.
"No, listen, please, I know you tried to defend me agaisnt Troy, and I proved you wrong, I'm sorry for not telling you about Florence. I am sorr-"
"I am angry because I realized that you might not be my friend after all. Friends don't get each other's partners to bed, friends don't keep very serious things in secret, and friends should rely on each other no matter what. You slept wtih Florence, you lost all respect you had towards Troy and slept with her! You never told me about Billy and about your suicide attempt, while I told you the thing I rarely tell people. I trusted you, but you didn't. I feel stupid because I didn't know what happend to you and I couldn't help you before."
I begin to cry. "I am angry at myself because I didn't and will never understand what you went through."
"Leslie," Derek dries my tears with his hand. "I'm the one who should be crying."
"Is everything okay?" Newton gets in between us. He looks at Derek.
"Step back Newton," Derek says, "I am talking to her."
"Well I was talking to her earlier before you interrupted," Newton says.
I see the bus arriving. I push them both aside and get in the bus. I am not used to drama like this. But Derek told me sorry. He really wants to make it up to me.
...
I see Harold holding my auntie's hand while she lays on her bed. "Hey," I smile. "Is she sleeping?"
He nods, "Took her to get some chemo, didn't she tell you?"
"Yeah, but I thought she will at least say hi to me," I stand next to the bed. "Harold, why do you love my auntie?"
"I thought I told you since the first day I meet you," he says.
"I want to know,"
"Because she was the most amazing woman I ever meet and well a very pretty lady," he chuckles.
"Heh, but you knew she was sick,"
"Yeah, that attracted me to her even more, I saw a warrior,  a strong woman, I knew that was something I wanted in a woman,"
"Thanks for loving her," I say.
"No need to thank me," he smiles. "I love her so much."
"Well, I am going to shower, you can leave, I can take care of her," I say.
"Alright," he kisses her forehead and leaves. I shower quickly and put on a long black t-shirt and my undies. I put on my pillow on the small couch next to auntie's bed. I get my pink blanket and cover myself. Yep, this is my bed, I don't mind it.
"Leslie,"
What the? I look at my auntie but she is asleep. Who said that?
I stand and look around the small house. Then there's a knock on the door.
"Harold! Did you forget something?" I say as I open the door.
"Hey," Derek lightly smiles.
DEREK POV:
I look at Leslie. She has long hair that reaches down on her waist. It looks smooth and soft and it makes her look pretty. I notice she only has a long t-shirt on. Her legs are thin but have some tone to them. I feel my cheeks get hotter as I go up. Oh god, she doesn't have a bra on.
"Derek?" she asks.
I shake my head and notice she is trying to cover herself up. Darn, was I that obvious? Wait, I was checking her out! *mentally slaps self*
"Sorry," I whisper. "I know it's late but I just couldn't sleep another night knowing you hate me."
"I don't hate you," she says.
"I'm sorry for not telling you anything. I know you wanted for Troy to not get mad at Florence or me. I proved you wrong by having sex with her. But he broke it off, remember? During lunch? He said she wasn't his girlfriend anymore. There was no need for you to think wrong of us and for Troy to be pissed."
"But what about before?! Florence said she had sex with you when she was still with Troy."
"No," I shake my head, "We kissed and I did touch her breasts but nothing else happened."
"You aren't lying to me?" she asks.
"No, I promise," I say.
She sighs, "Troy is devasted Derek. He lost the bit of love and care that he had for you after he heard that. But believe it or not, when he was telling me everything, he still was putting you as the hero as a good person. Troy's heart isn't evil, he is so good and still deep inside his heart cares about you."
I nod, "I know. I am just a stupid jerk who let a stupid leg put him down. I know I pushed people away and I did it in the most awful way, but I was lost Leslie."
"Come on in, it's a bit chilly," she gets my hand and we walk to the small kitchen. I see her house for the first time and it is even smaller than it looks from the outside. I see her aunt sleeping soundly in a bed in what I assume is the living room.
"Is your aunt okay?" I ask her.
She nods, "Yeah."
She tells me to sit in a small wooden table for two. She sits next to me.
"But why aren't you saying that to Troy and everyone else you pushed away?" she asks.
"I'm not good with speeches and such, I still don't know how I even won class president."
"Just be honest," she says, "like you are right now."
I sigh, "I already did. I would like you on Monday to go pick up the school's newspaper. I wrote a letter to the editor explaining everything to everyone including you. Thanks to you, even if my life kind of sucks right now, I am able to smile again, to feel normal."
I touch her hands that are placed on the table. "Derek," she whispers.
"Yeah?"
"You are the first person to see my hair," she says.
I look at her. "What do you mean?"
"Do you know why my auntie is sick?"
"No, well, something with her immune system right?"
"She has cancer," Leslie frowns, "she has breast cancer, even though she got most of her breasts cut, the cancer was able to spread into other parts of her body. She is very sick now."
Darn, darn, that is sad. I look at Gloria sleeping soundly in her bed. She is dying.
"I am afraid," Leslie whimpers. I hug her quickly and she lays her head on my shoulder. "she is strong but the cancer is stronger. The chemo isn't really helping her now. Her beautiful hair is falling more now."
"Are you growing your hair to donate it?" I ask her.
"Yes, hoping for my auntie to live longer and I will donate my hair to her."
"That's sweet," I whisper.
"I don't buy myself pretty clothes or a cellphone because most of the money goes to her medicine and therapy. I also help pay the rent," she says.
"And that's a really nice thing to do Leslie," I say.
She pulls away and looks at me. "So if I read this letter to the editor, will it all be the truth?"
I nod. "It's the best way I can think of to tell you and most of where my friends an explanation."
"Okay, so what about Florence? Is she really your girlfriend?" she asks.
I nod. "Yeah."
She frowns, "So are you or her going to talk to Troy?"
"I don't think he will hear me out right now. I will talk to him but later."
She nods, "you should."
"So, where's your room?" I ask.
"There," she points to a one seated couch.
"You don't have a room?" I ask.
"Nope, but the couch is okay."
Wow. She doesn't have her own bed. She doesn't have so many things, but she can smile every day. How?
"I think you should go, or what? You wanted to sleep over?" she chuckles.
"Heh, well, why not?" I ask. "Besides, you need to tell more things about you."
"What things?"
"your parents," I say. "What happened?"
"i told you, they just left, I have no idea why," she shrugs.
"Do you miss them?"
"Sometimes, but I have Harold and my auntie. They are like my parents."
"do you wonder where they are?"
"Nope," she answers, "I just hope they are fine and don't wish them bad."
"You are too nice," I say.  I touch her cheek. "Why?"
"Why not?" she lightly smiles. "I have you as friend, that's why I am nice and want to be nice, I want friends and I want to help people out."
I rub my thumb across her soft cheek. "I thank you for that. I really do think you are the reason why I began to smile again, to talk to people again."
She closes her eyes as she feels my touch. She shakes her head and opens her eyes. "No. I just helped you with your lunch tray remember? It was your choice to be happy and talkative again."
I chuckle, "Yeah." I put my hand on her neck. I gently wrap on it and caress her neck with my thumb. She swallows hard and looks at me in the eyes. She begins to lean in and I do the same. Something about this girl that makes me feel so different.
"Wait," she stands and hugs herself. "umm, I think you need to leave."
I stand, "Sorry, I didn't want to offend you or-"
"Ssh, just leave, I don't want to make anything worse."
I nod. "Okay, but, I'm sorry, I just felt weird."
"Night Derek."
"Night Leslie." I get my cane and walk out. I almost kissed her and don't know why. She is right though. I don't want to cheat on Florence. I really do like her a lot. But why did I want to kiss Leslie?