Chapter 20 - Low Tide Ink

(A/N: Not much to say about this one but enjoy :))

Olli's POV ~

Escaping that dungeon was easier than I thought. Although, I felt guilty leaving Oscar all alone down there, I will return to him once my plan is done.

I needed Marie to understand that at this point there is only one thing that she can do. Callie's critical condition, she no longer trusts me or Oscar, and will only listen to Octavio. And he's going to use her voice to power the Octobot.

I felt a lot of pressure put on me as I slunk down low trying not to be spotted. I had to get to cuttlefish Cabin unnoticed, if I was caught, I'd be sent below without any chance of being able to save Callie or say goodbye to Oscar.

That'd be the worst. Knowing at this moment in time that it's all up to me, if I screwed this up? It'd be over. All over. Without Marie Callie is done for, the octarians would win and take over the city. That's why I cannot get caught.

All octarian ink was the same, unlike the colorful pools of inkling ink. There was an occasional puddle here and there, probably from Marie's recruit. Luckily for me, there were conveniently placed pools of octarian Ink. I used them to swiftly hop around in. I was about to jump when I heard loud footsteps. It was a troop of eight or nine octarian girls. Their monotone mumbles were hard to hear through the ink, but I could make out them talking about a concert tomorrow.

Then it hit me. A concert tomorrow? That could only mean one thing. Octavio is planning to battle Marie and her recruit tomorrow. It will be Callie's debut, and it's going to absolutely crush her.

I have to get to the cabin quickly, but the troop stayed put. I couldn't risk being caught. I could quickly hop out and make a daring getaway, but that would get Oscar in trouble and send many troops out after Marie and I. Today I'm not going to be daring.

I'm staying put until they leave.

I waited for a good while. I could hear their voices fading, and there were no more footsteps. I waited still for another 5 minutes until I was absolutely sure they were gone. Then I proceeded to my puddle jumping.

Marie's POV ~

I sat with my knees tucked to my chest at the cabin. Watching the sun slowly set, a wave of emotions washed over. Today marked day 56 without Callie. I had been counting. It's sad, I know. I'm an absolute mess without her. I felt a small warm tear fall down my cheek.

I quickly wiped it away as I heard the footsteps of Iris returning from another mission, Zapfish in hand.

"I just finished Paradise Lanes. What a hoot, all those gigantic bowling balls! I almost got squished alive!" She laughed, and handed me the small fish.

"Thanks four, you did great. I'm proud of you" I said to her, and smiled.

Her comical grin melted into some sort of sad yet hopeful smile.

"One more..." she said.

One more Zapfish. That was it until the boss kettle opened. One more Zapfish and then I could finally find a way back to my cousin.

"It's a lot to take in. You're a little more level headed about this than 3 was" I said and laughed. "You've had a long day, Iris. Why don't you go home? You need to rest. The sun is almost down"

"What? Don't you want me to go to the final kettle and get this done and over with?" She asked confused.

"No" I said. "I'm not...I'm not ready. I don't know what they're doing to Callie. But i just, I'm not in a good spot right now. I need to think. Just go home and rest"