Chapter 24 - Spicy Calamari

(A/N: okay I had a hard time deciding who's point of view to put this in, but I think I went with the right choice! Enjoy!)

Callie's POV ~

"AHHH!" I screamed as searing pain tore across my face. Of all the things I expected Marie to show up and do this was certainly not one of them.

Just a few minutes ago, I was feeling confident that Octavio would destroy the inkling, and Marie wouldn't show up in time. But wow I was wrong. So dearly wrong.

My song had been interrupted and replaced with a new one. One that I unwillingly recalled as Tide Goes Out. I don't know why or how I remember that, but I did. That's how I knew she was coming.

But I did not know it'd be on a giant floating cemi truck.

She was beautiful. She had a look of fierce determination. It was kind of inspiring how desperately she wanted the great Zapfish back. It was almost as if the loss of the Zapfish drove her insane and she wouldn't rest until she got it back.

I was too distracted by the sudden change in music interrupting my song, and wondering how the heck a truck could fly to realize that Marie had a gun.

And it was pointed directly at me.

And with perfect aim and precision, she shot her shot, and hit me clear across the face, knocking the shades completely off of the machine and into the dark abyss below.

The ink was not like other ink. I had felt inkling ink before. It was sticky and caused me to slow down in my tracks. But this was different. It burned my face and fizzled and popped, as little green anomalies flew from my head and exploded in sudden bursts.

I grasped my head in my hands, barely able to keep myself up. My head rung violently, and Octavio's voice was muffled as he shouted,

"NOO! The hypnoshades!" He slammed his wasabi sticks against the turntables, and growled.

"YES! That was a direct hit with my special Low Tide Ink" I think I heard Marie say.

"Uhhnnnu" I moaned, feeling more pain in my skin than in my actual head.

"Alright! Now, Agent 4! While Callie is stunned! Let's make DJ Octavio pay!" Marie shouted to her recruit.

"Don't you dare even think about about stopping. You need to keep singing!" Octavio thundered up to me. "Just shake it off and go!"

As much as I didn't want to, i obeyed his command.

"Time to turn these tables! Spicy speed mode!" Octavio scoffed, and threw an aggressive spin to the turntables.

"He's fast! Watch out for that dash punch, 4!" Marie said, in perfect coordination to when Octavio launched a dash punch.

The inkling kept splatting on. My vision cleared slightly, and I noticed both Marie, and I were going back and forth on the giant flatscreen TVs. Something familiar about us performing started to come to me, as if I had done it before.

"Alright, 4! Keep it up! I'm gonna sing from here!" Marie called, and continued to sing. However, I cut her off and sang more of my song. But it felt, more original. Like it wasn't a new song made by Octavio. But rather, one I wrote myself.

Octavio launched the metal fists at the agent to the rhythm of my song, only to get them deflected and launched back in our faces. This threw the machine off balance yet again and didn't really help my dizziness.

Octavio directed another dash punch, but instead of the girl splatting it back towards us, she dodged and quickly swam away. Octavio attempted to locate her and threw another set of the calamari bombs. She reappeared out of the ink, and almost stumbled into one of them. Octavio laughed as they exploded into columns of toxic Purple ink.

"WAKE UP, CALLIE!" Marie shouted.

"Oougghh... five more minutes" I replied sleepily, Octavio violently shook the machine upon hearing this.

"Stop talking and keep singing! I can't loose control of you!" He said desperately.

Another set of punches was yet again deflected and thrown into our faces. Octavio noticed down below, that the inkling agent had gotten herself stuck in some purple ink. He seized this moment and initiated another shower attack, and plowed over her, causing the innocent squid to loose her armor.

"Haha! I've gotcha right where I want you!" Octavio shouted at her. She inked a small puddle to try and fix her armor, but she didn't make it out in time and was splatted by a punch.

She only had one chance left.

We waited a moment and she respawned. Octavio immediately threw a spinning punch. She was disoriented, but not affected. She splatted herself a trail and swam away. Octavio launched one final and hopeful punch towards her, but as expected, she splatted it back, and he fell out again.

By this time, my vision and hearing were almost completely restored, and I could hear Marie calling,

"Octavio is down! Get him Agent 4!

She did as told, and splatted him. He was completely coated in green ink. Octavio squirmed back into the machine, but it was far too late to do anything.

I remembered again.

A song that I just now decided to call Tidal Rush screeched to a halt.

"My...My head..." I moaned.

"Aha! The Low Tide Ink is working! Callie's coming to!" Marie said from the top of her truck.

She pulled a radio box out of her pockets, which didn't exist. Y'know. Costume logic.

"Callie! Remember!" She pointed an outstretched arm towards the top platform. It was at this moment in my life I felt completely humiliated. The stupid clothes I wore. The stupid attitude I had. I was ashamed. I never wanted to get over to her more in my life than I had in this moment.

Marie set down the radio box and struck a pose from our song, Calamari Inkantation. Small anomalies of green light started to form around Marie's heart.

A new beat of some song had begun. Something that ignited the same sparks inside me. I knew it all too well.

"That heavenly melody..."

As I sluggishly copied her movements, the same pink anomalies formed around my heart, and expanded down around my torso.

"The one and only..."

Everything went black.

"I...I remember..."

Memories once again fully restored, and being completely consumed by pink and green auras, I made a giant leap of faith over to the truck, at long last, falling into Marie's loving arms.

"Yeah!"