I. U P H E A V A L

s t e l l a n

P A R K S L O P E - B R O O K L Y N

The clubhouse stood quiet. If it were any other weeknight, there would be dozens of members inside hanging out, playing games, and chattering away like schoolgirls. But not tonight.

Stellan sat alone on the sofa; the only sound heard was the rapid beat of his heart in his ears as he plotted his escape.

Stellan had bailed on the job, and yet, there he sat wondering how far he'll be able to get before Vinnie found out. If he were to be caught... well, he knew what happened to those who defected.

Still, it was better than aiding in the kidnap of some innocent person, supposedly for ransom. Who knew with Vinnie—he sometimes did things that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Running his hand through his hair for the thousandth time in the past few hours, he stood, sighing in acceptance. A plan was coming together, but one minor detail still frustrated him: where was he to go?

Pacing the length of the lounge area, he walked through his departure in his mind.

First, he would need a car. As much as he hated hot-wiring a stranger's car, he had no reservations about jacking one from the gang. Sure, it might have been stolen before, but it was better in his possession than theirs.

Second, he'd need money for gas and food, and probably a change of clothes. His earnings with Vinnie put a good wad in his pocket, but would it be enough? He figured he could pickpocket one or more of the boys later when they returned, then leave in the early morning, when everyone was asleep.

Third—that one still stumped him. Where should he run to? He had no one. No one that mattered, anyway. He was a mere teen when his mother died. His father? Fuck that guy. He hadn't heard from him since the day he abandoned their family. Before Mom got sick.

But he wouldn't think about that now.  No, he had a mission. He wasn't going to be a slave to crime any longer. He would be free.

A commotion outside brought his attention to the front door. They were back earlier than he expected. No matter, though. He couldn't be stopped now. It took him this long to decide to change, and now there wasn't anything that could change his mind.

The door swung open to reveal two of his buddies holding a woman upright. She had a black blindfold over her eyes, but she didn't seem to be fully awake. Two more of his friends followed them.

"Missed you tonight, man," one of them called. "Third time in two weeks you skip out on us. Vinnie's gonna be pissed."

"I wasn't feeling well," Stellan lied.

"Yeah, sure," he said. "Just watch her for us and I'll put in a good word for you." He snickered, tossing her onto the sofa he was just lounging on. "But don't touch her, Vinnie wants this one clean."

Stellan grimaced. Just the thought put a sour taste in his mouth.

With that, the four of them piled out, mumbling something about food. 

Stellan's eyes were glued to the girl, who lay limp on the sofa. Her head lolled, rolling back and forth on the sofa cushions—they must have drugged her. He approached her and sat her up so that she didn't choke on her own saliva.

The girl coughed, gasping for air against the gag the guys had put in her mouth. She tried to reach up to take the cloth out of her mouth, but her wrists were tied. She whimpered, and Stellan's heart constricted. This was exactly why he hadn't wanted to go on this job; this girl was an innocent pawn in this game of violence and malice. Her hands struggled with the ropes on her wrists but to no avail - she was trapped. And at his mercy.