XLVI. C H A N G E S

c a r m e n 

"Mer?" Carmen placed her hand on Merrik's elbow, and he turned to face her. She smiled warmly and squeezed him gently. "You okay?"

He shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. I just miss him, ya know?" Carmen's heart constricted; of course she knew. She felt that way about her parents every day. 

"I know exactly what you mean... and it's perfectly okay for you to feel that way."

Merrik slipped his arm around her shoulders and hugged her to him. "Thank you. You somehow always know exactly what I need to hear."

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Well, here's something else you might want to hear... I got a job today!" she exclaimed proudly.

"In such a short time? A clever one, you are." Merrik's roguish grin made her heart flutter as he grabbed her hands in his and squeezed. "I am so proud of you, Car. Where will you be working?"

She smiled up at him. "I found an art gallery over on Michigan Avenue... it's owned by this adorable couple, and they gave me a job as sort of a.... consultant. I will help them decide what pieces to buy and things like that," she explained.

Merrik's smile turned bright and beaming at her words. He pulled her to him and spun her around, and Carmen couldn't help but giggle. "That sounds like a dream job. I'm happy for you. When do you start?"

"In two weeks! I really can't wait. I've never had a real job before; I want to make you proud of me," she murmured as she snuggled into his chest.

"I already am proud of you," he murmured, leaning to kiss her ruby head. "I always knew you'd go above and beyond."

"Thank you, Mer. Thank you for setting me free."

"I would do anything for you. But you always had it in you, you know." Her heart swelled as Merrik wrapped his arm around her back and guided her away from the grave and out of the cemetery.

As they strolled along the sidewalk to the car, Merrik clearers his throat. "I suppose this would be a good time to mention that I have a job, as well." His eye twinkled.

She raised her eyebrows and cocked her head to the side. "Oh, do you? Pray tell, what is it?!"

He chuckled, and the sound of it warmed her to her toes.

"It's a surprise. How about this: we meet up with Stellan and Everly before they leave for their trip, and I'll spill the beans."

"Ugh!" she huffed playfully. "Fine... but there's no waiting until after the first drink or the appetizer," she joked, elbowing him in the ribs.

His laughter deepened and she dragged him to the car. "Come on! I can't wait!"

°°°

Two weeks ago, Stellan and Everly had found their own place outside the city, but not far from the big house they all had shared. So instead of heading to either of their homes, the four of them met up at Salangio's for a proper Italian dinner - Carmen's favorite.

"Hey sister!" Everly squealed and threw her arms around Carmen. "I'm so glad I get to see you before we leave for Europe! I need to know what kind of souvenirs you want!"

Carmen grinned. "Sister, whatever you want to get me is perfect. You don't even have to get me anything if you don't want to!"

Merrik and Stellan both snorted. "Telling Everly not to go shopping for gifts is like telling the rain to stop falling in Seattle," Merrik joked.

Everly laughed and shrugged. "Guilty as charged."

Stellan had given Everly the Valentine's Day gift of her dreams: a cross-country trip of Europe. Carmen thought it was perfect for her to experience the world she missed out on all those years.

They walked into the restaurant and sat at the perfect corner booth.

After they ordered wine and appetizers, Carmen was practically bouncing in her seat. "Mer, you promised we wouldn't have to wait until after the appetizer. What is your new business venture?!"

Merrik chuckled and spilled his arm around her shoulders. "Well, I'm proud to say that I've started my own business—a completely legitimate one this time."

Stellan whistled through his teeth. "You mean my brother is actually legal now?"

If Merrik were anyone else, Carmen swore he would have stuck his tongue out.

"Well, what kind of business is it?" Every inquired excitedly.

Merrik grinned. "A stock brokerage. Since I handle money aptly and had been current on black market stocks, I figured I could use my skills for a more practical purpose."

Carmen's face broke into a grin. "Merrik! That's fantastic! I'm so proud of you," she exclaimed, throwing her arms around his neck.

He rubbed her back, kissing her temple. "Thank you, Car." He turned toward her and put her face in his hands, his expression sobering. "For everything."

Shaking her head, her eyebrows furrowed and she asked, "For what?"

"For making me want to straighten my life up and start living right. I never had a reason before you," he whispered.

Carmen's heart melted. "You saved my life, my love. It was the least I could do to help get yours on track."

Merrik leaned toward her, dipping to kiss her lips, and she sighed in contentment.

"Get a room, would ya? I think I'm losing my appetite by the second." Stellan playfully made a noise of disgust, and this time, Merrik did stick out his tongue at him.

Boys will be boys.