IV. S P A R K S

e v e r l y

After they got back on the road, Stellan and Everly left Cleveland in the dust. As the miles passed, they talked about anything and everything—except her past with her father. She knew Stellan wanted to bring it up, but she was thankful he held back.

When the sun was setting over the horizon, Everly yawned widely. "Hey, we're almost to Indiana. Do you think it's safe to stop for the night?" she asked.

It took Stellan a moment to respond. He was probably calculating how far away they were from his former gang—he had told her how worried he was about being tracked down.

"We can stop," he told her. A smile pulled at his lips. "But I thought we could stop somewhere for supplies first."

She looked at him. "Supplies? I hope you mean some new clothes," she said, laughing and looking down at her silk top. She had put his jacket back on at least, and she definitely didn't want to give it up.

He chuckled, and the sound warmed her toes.

"Yes, and a few other things. I'd like to shower and shave," he said, rubbing the scruff on his chin.

"Can we get snacks too?" she asked giddily.

He laughed again, and she swore it was the best sound she'd heard in weeks. "Yeah... we can get snacks."

"Yes!" she exclaimed. It was amazing to her how the simplest things could make her happy—after a lifetime of the big stuff, all she wanted were the little things.

He glanced at her and grinned. "Target run?" he asked, indicating the next exit, which appeared to have a pretty full variety of stores.

"Target? I've heard of it. Never been!" she admitted.

Stellan's eyebrows rose toward his scalp. "Seriously?" he asked, surprised. "Have you ever been to any supermarket?"

She bit her lip and shrugged. "My dad always sent our butler, Martin, to the store. I've been to the corner store to get a soda, but that's about it. I told you I was sheltered."

He nodded. "I knew that; I'm just looking forward to showing you everything you've missed out on."

Everly looked at him, and the smile that lit up his face made her heart flutter. She couldn't wait.

They got out of the car and walked toward the entrance to Target, with Everly practically skipping. Stellan pointed at the shopping cart corral. "Why don't you grab us a cart?" he said in her ear.

Everly's skin broke out into goosebumps when his breath brushed her ear. "Okay," she said, grabbing the cart and pushing it fast. When it was rolling at a good speed, she jumped on the lower shelf, giggling with her hair flying behind her.

He laughed, coming up behind her and she flushed. "I always wanted to do that," she admitted.

Stellan had a mischievous grin painted on his face. In a swoop, he picked her up under her arms and deposited her into the big basket.

"Hang on!" he called, pushing her the rest of the way to the door.

When they entered, the greeter gave them the stankiest eye, and they giggled. When the greeter turned around, Everly stuck her tongue out at her, and Stellan snorted.

She looked around in awe once they got a little further into the store. "Holy. Shit. They have everything!"

Stellan laughed. "Yeah, that's what they say. Where do you want to look first?"

She thought, and her eyes lit up. "Can I get some clothes?"

He pushed her and the cart to the women's clothing department, parking it in an aisle of winter clothes. "It's only going to get colder, so we need to get you some warm clothes," he said, helping her out of the cart.