XXVII. D I S A S T E R

c a r m e n

Carmen watched Everly in the mirror as they got ready for the job at the private club. Everly smiled as she pulled Carmen's red curls into a massive updo, leaving a few strands surrounding her face. "God, Carmen. Your hair is so beautiful... I'm so jealous. I always wanted curly hair."

She smiled, unable to help it. She would never get used to such compliments. They were too special to her.

"Thank you... it can be a little hard to work with sometimes."

Everly turned around, giving Carmen privacy to pull on her dress. She was secretly grateful—she didn't exactly want her friend to see the scars peppering her body. She wasn't sure if she would ever get over it.

She had slipped into the short red Armani piece that Merrik seemed to like so much. Once finished, she noticed Everly had stepped into her own—a long, darker red form-fitting lacy dress with long sleeves. When Everly turned back around, her mouth dropped.

"Damn, Carmen. That dress... that dress is magnificent. Merrik is going to flip his shit!" She grinned at her and ran her fingertip under Carmen's eye to erase an errant smudge of mascara. "There. Perfect."

Carmen blushed. She never had many girl friends, especially ones that bothered to do her hair and makeup. "Thank you, Everly... you think?" She looks down at the matching red dress clinging to her curves. "Do you think it's too tight?"

Everly grinned and raised an eyebrow. "Yes. That's why Merrik is gonna flip his shit." she teased. "I'm kidding. You look beautiful." Everly checked her own makeup and when she was pleased, she clapped her hands together. "Ready to go do the super extra reveal?"

Carmen giggled. "The most extra," she winked. Opening the bathroom door, she stepped out in silver strappy heels. Linking arms with Everly, she took a deep breath before walking out into the living room.

When they entered, Stellan and Merrik weren't there.

"Hmm," Carmen said, looking around until her eyes fall on two tall silhouettes through the balcony doors.

"They're outside. Come on," Everly said, taking Carmen's hand so they can step onto the balcony together. She swung the door open and cleared her throat to get their attention. "Hey boys," she said with a lilt to her voice. Carmen almost laughed.

Stellan whistled, and the look Merrik gave Carmen made her flush the color of the fabric of her dress.

Merrik pulled Carmen to him, kissing her rouged lips. "I have a feeling I'm going to have to fight someone tonight."

Carmen looked down and then back up, her face delightfully pink. "Is that right? Well, if I see any girl with her eyes on you, she won't have her eyes very much longer," she said, winking and making a claw shape with her fingers, showing her recently manicured nails.

Merrik laughed out loud, that is, until he noticed Stellan starting at him with wide eyes. "What?" he asked after clearing his throat.

"Nothing!" Stellan replied, turning to pull Everly close. "Have you ever seen him laugh like that?" he whispered to her.

Everly shook her head, her wide eyes matching Stellan's. "Literally never. I didn't even know that was possible," she hissed in his ear.

Carmen smiled, overhearing everything they said. "I think you guys will find that he laughs a lot more nowadays... I'm not really sure why," she said with mock confusion, holding her index finger and thumb to her chin and looking up at the sky.

Merrik mock pouted, not amused with being the butt of their joke. "I laugh plenty," he defended.

Stellan snorted. "Sure, bro. Come on, we can take my car to the club."