XVII. O F F E R I N G

c a r m e n

Carmen stared out the window of Merrik's BMW, watching the suburban surroundings of Chicago Ridge Mall shift back to the downtown high rises of the West Loop. She was wondering how she could've possibly gotten so lucky as to not only be rescued from Frank, but to land with someone like Merrik Hailström. She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, and she tried once again to figure him out.

It was clear that he wasn't used to having anyone around like this, but it was also obvious that he didn't really mind. She wondered what was going through his mind; he hadn't spoken much, but the words he'd said made her feel cared for—a feeling she'd not had for a long time.

"Carmen?"

She started and looked over at him. "Yeah?"

He smirked, one of the corners of his mouth quirking up. "Where'd you go?"

She flushed and put her hands in the hoodie pocket, wringing them nervously. "Oh, I just... I was just thinking about how thankful I am for your kindness."

His smile softened and immediately he turned his eyes back to the road. "It's the right thing to do," he said simply. "Stellan just texted," he said, pulling into the parking garage at his building. "He and Everly are coming over so he can get his share of the job from last night. And I think Everly wants to get to know you," he said, his voice changing a bit when he said her name.

Carmen nodded. "Okay," she said. She wondered what exactly had happened between Everly and Merrik, but she didn't want to ask.

Merrik rounded the car and opened the door for her, a gesture that made her insides cramp up. In the past, no one had ever done something polite for her without expecting something in return. But with Merrik, it wasn't like that.

She climbed out and followed him to the elevator. As she walked behind him, she bit her lip and studied him. He was tall, handsome, well dressed--but underneath that exterior, she could sense something else there. Something wounded. Broken. Carmen could easily identify that in another person since she too was broken inside.

As they waited for the elevator, he turned to look down at her, and she realized she was staring. She blushed and coughed, looking down at her feet.

The elevator dinged and they stepped inside, letting a couple old ladies come out first. He hit the button for the 70th floor and they rode in silence—but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. It felt natural.

When the elevator doors opened, they stepped into a hallway, and she followed him to his door. He unlocked it and let them in, and she looked around; she was once again enthralled by her surroundings. "Were you comfortable enough on the couch last night?" he asked, breaking through her thoughts.

"It was fine," she answered. "I loved the view of the city. The lights were soothing to me."

He studied her and nodded. "All right."

She smiled. "Okay." She ran her hands through her hair. "Can I take a shower?" she asked.

He nodded. "Of course. I believe Everly showed you the bathroom last night."

"She did. I'll just be a few minutes," Carmen said, and he nodded, busying himself with something on the counter.

She took a new body wash and lotion out of the bag and some of her new clothes, and with one look over her shoulder, entered the bathroom.

The bathroom was luxurious—like nothing she'd ever seen before last night. She started the water and let it heat up, undressing in front of the mirror. She gulped as she ran her fingers over the bruises on her body, and her eyes filled with tears—both of pain and happiness. She couldn't believe she was out from under Frank.