XXXIX. R E S P I T E

s t e l l a n

Stellan blinked. The fuck? The fire inside Stellan had died down at Merrik's words, but he was still leery of whatever information his brother had to share.

"Spill it," he said, closing the door behind Merrik and Carmen.

Merrik's lips ticked downward. "I don't like your attitude."

Stellan fought the urge to laugh. "Yeah, okay, dad," he snarked. "What evidence do you have?"

Merrik's jaw twitched, and he held his hand out to Carmen, not taking his eyes off Stellan. "Can I see your phone, love?"

Carmen placed her iPhone in his hand, and after tapping a few keys, a recording began to play.

I got rid of your brother and his stupid girlfriend; I told Vinnie where they were...

The rest of the recording faded into the background as Stellan looked at his brother, shame flooding his heart and heating his face.

As tight-lipped as Stellan was before, he couldn't help the apology from bursting from his mouth.

"Merrik... I am so sorry." He saw his brother's shoulders relax as if his apology had lifted a great weight off his back.

Merrik stepped toward him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Leaning forward, he leveled his gaze with Stellan's.

"Now was that so hard?" Merrik mocked. Stellan grinned, shrugging his hand off.

"Ha, ha."

Everly piped up from behind Stellan, "I don't wanna say I told you so, but..."

"I'll say it: I told you so," Merrik finished, and Stellan rolled his eyes.

"You're never going to let this go, are you?" Stellan asked, and Merrik shook his head.

Stellan sighed, and the look on his face changed from playful to serious.

"I really am sorry I jumped to conclusions. But it's..." He took a deep breath. "It's kind of new to me, having someone I can trust and count on. Especially when that someone is my brother, who I thought hated me my entire life," he admitted, his voice dropping an octave in an attempt to cover his emotion. "I guess–I guess what I'm trying to say is... I love–I love that we're–that we're finally close," he stammered.

Ever since Stellan met Merrik, his face was almost always unreadable. But now, standing before him, the look on his brother's face held a kind of hope and pride. He looked happy.

When Merrik pulled him in for a one-armed embrace, Stellan let out a breath.

"I love you too, bro," Merrik murmured. When he pulled away, a grin was plastered on his face. "That's one thing I never thought I'd say."

Stellan opened his mouth to respond when Everly and Carmen both let out a loud "Awwww!" in unison.

Merrik and Stellan burst out laughing and when everyone was put together again, Everly sighed and looked at the clock.

"Guys... it's already 9:00. But it's still New Years! Do we have time to do anything fun?!" she asked. "Now that we've all made up?"

Merrik shrugged. "I gave Frank twenty-four hours. I guess there's not much we can do now but wait."

Everly flashed a big smile before pivoting and dashing into the kitchen. "I'll get the booze!" she yelled, her hair flying wildly behind her.

Stellan grinned and watched her run away, struck again by her ability to move forward when shit happens, and do it with a smile. She had just been kidnapped a few hours earlier, by his former associates, yet she held no resentment toward him or even took an opportunity to mope. He would forever be in awe of her.