IX. E X T I N G U I S H E D

e v e r l y

"Holy shit, Stell," Everly murmured as they walked into the lobby of the Four Seasons hotel in downtown Chicago. "This is beautiful." The sun was shining through the massive windows along the side wall, the light reflecting off the marble floors and golden accented furniture. "Are you sure we can afford this?"

Stellan laughed and put his hand on the small of her back, right over her tattoo, which felt like it had burst into flames, and she wondered if he could feel it. He leaned in and whispered, "Don't worry, Angel; I got this."

Everly understood what he was trying to do—hiding in plain sight. Members of his gang would be looking for them in off-the-interstate inns and motels. Staying in such an upscale hotel could buy them a few precious hours—maybe even days.

Still, it had to be expensive. She didn't know how much money Stellan had, but there were thousands in bills in his wallet. She still wished there was some way she could help.

"I'll be right back," he said, sliding his hand off of her back as he stepped up to the front desk. She stayed behind, leaning against one of the marble pillars.

As she waited, she let her eyes roam over his frame–he was muscular without being too bulky, lean in the waist, with dark blonde hair that swept into his eyes when it fell just the right way. He really was handsome–

"Ev?" he asked, and she flushed when she realized he was right in front of her.

"Oh—sorry," she said, grinning.

Stellan smiled down at her, and her heart sped up. She looked up and away, anywhere other than his warm, deep eyes that just seemed to suck her in. The crystal chandeliers above their heads twinkled, and she awed at the wonder of it all again.

He took her hand, snapping her out of her thoughts. "I got our room key... it has a balcony!"

They made their way to the elevator and a few minutes later, Everly found herself sailing through the air to jump on the massive king-sized bed.

He was kicking his shoes off, and then she pulled him up to the bed with her, taking both of his hands in hers and bouncing on the fluffy mattress. They were both laughing and in that moment, she forgot that they were on the run from a gang, that she had been taken for ransom... and she was just happy.

Eventually, she ran out of breath and flopped down onto her back, and in a second, he appeared beside her. She leaned into him and glanced up and into his hazel eyes. "Thank you, Stellan..."

"For what?" he asked, slipping his arm around her shoulders, his hand hanging down and brushing her ribs.

"For this... for... for saving me and taking me away from there," she murmured.

"Well, maybe I should be the one thanking you," he said, poking her side. She squirmed, ticklish. "For so long I dreamed of leaving New York... but now that I left with you, I can't imagine being on the run with anyone else."

They lay back on the bed, staring at the high ceiling, following the crown molding to the large bay windows. Sitting up, Everly skipped over to the balcony door.

Stepping out, she leaned over the railing, looking down at the street far below. There were hundreds of people going about their daily lives, and she felt oddly weightless, just watching from above.

Stellan came up behind her. "Where would you fly to, Angel?"

She turned around and leaned against the railing, feeling it press into her lower back. She met his eyes, swallowed, and said, "Anywhere... as long as you'd go with me." Her breath quickened, and she struggled to keep it under control.