XLVIII. T H E F L A M E

"This is incredible!" Carmen exclaimed, whirling to beam up at Merrik. He would never tire of the brightness of her joy and the playful gleam in her eyes.

"Let's go inside and check it out--it is your birthday gift, after all," Merrik offered, leading her up the wooden stairs to the beautifully carved log cabin, snow still clinging to the roof. The windows spanned two stories, and there was a warmth emitting from inside that begged for them to enter.

Carmen shivered. "Good idea, It's freezing out here. Vail, Colorado is the farthest place from Everly and Stellan's sunny beaches, and the irony is not missed on me."

Merrik chuckled and pulled a bundle out of his jacket. "This might help," he said, wrapping a red scarf around her shoulders.

Carmen looked down and her slender fingers brushed the luxurious red material. "Oh my gosh, Merrik! This is that Hermès scarf from the gala event! How did you know I wanted it?"

Merrik swept his knuckles across her jawline and smiled. "I pay attention. I saw you eyeing it that day, and I knew I wanted you to have it."

She cocked her head to the side and her smile grew wider. "Thank you, Merrik. You spoil me, and I don't know what I did to deserve it."

At her words, Merrik threaded his fingers through her copper hair and gently pulled her face toward his. "You deserve it by merely breathing, love." He accentuated his words with a sweet kiss on her lips.

"Now, why don't we go in and have a look around? I've already had our luggage delivered." Merrik released her to unlock the ornate door.

'Yes!" she exclaimed, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet. As they walked through the doors, she gasped. "This is so beautiful, Merrik. Really, I couldn't have dreamt up a better place." She walked around the living room, running her fingers over the back of the suede couch. "I've never seen anything so perfect," she whispered.

Merrik was thrilled that she loved it. He wanted to gift her with all the perfect things he could.

The fireplace was already crackling with warmth, and Merrik was grateful. "Let's take a look through the suggested activities, see what you'd like to do while we're here," he offered, taking the binder from the coffee table and plopping down right on the white fur rug sitting before the fireplace.

He patted his lap, urging her to join him.

Carmen eagerly ran to him and sank down into his lap, facing him and taking the binder out of his hands and putting it on the rug next to him.

"I can suggest an activity," she whispered in his ear, her lips barely brushing his skin.

Merrik grinned, gripping her hips. "Oh really? And what might that be?" he asked, turning his head and kissing her neck.

She stretched her neck, giving him more access to her bare skin. "Hmmm, I kinda think you already know...." She giggled and ran her hands through his hair.

He chuckled, gently laying her down on the soft rug as he kissed a line down her neck. "Let's get on the same page here," he murmured. "As much as I love that cashmere sweater on you, I'm going to need you to take it off."

She smiled up at him and winked, sliding her hands down to her hemline and pulling it up over her head, flinging it behind her. "Okay, but then this shirt will have to go," she whispered, her fingers toying with the buttons.

Just as Merrik pulled his shirt over his head, there was a knock at the front door. Cursing under his breath, he tugged his shirt back on.

"What? What is it?" Carmen asked, startled.