XXI. C O N S U M E

m e r r i k

Merrik shut his eyes in frustration. Shit, he thought. He looked over to see two little kids leaving the elevator with what looked like a teenage babysitter. The teenager smirked at them knowingly, and Merrik fought a scowl.

Merrik couldn't describe the disappointment with himself. He had ruined the mood, and he still couldn't quell the need to kiss her. He met her eyes with a lustful look, trying to convey that this was not nearly over. Slipping his hand into hers, he walked them over into the elevator.

Stupid kids, he thought. Why did they pick that moment to be on the elevator? He pressed the button for the 70th floor, and his skin prickled at the awareness that they were once again alone.

Once the door closed, he turned to her to find her already looking up at him. Her big doe eyes pulled him in and he took a step closer, releasing her hand to bring it up to her face. He cupped her cheek, caressing the soft swell of it with his thumb.

"Tell me you wanted that. Back there. Because if not, I need you to tell me before I make a mistake."

Carmen's chest rose with a small gasp. "Of course I did," she breathed. "I want it more than anything in the world."

Her words were all Merrik needed to unchain his heart. He slowly pulled her face up to his. Wrapping his other arm around her, his hand slipped back under the hem of her shirt to press against the small of her back. His heart seized as she brought her own hands up to rest on his chest, looking up at him, her blue eyes mesmerizing.

Merrik's gaze roamed her face, lighting on one feature, then the next. "You are singularly the most beautiful creature I have ever laid eyes on," he whispered, squeezing the skin of her back slightly. Her lips parted, and his eyes jumped to the soft pinkness, then to the adorable blush across her skin at his compliment.

"Well," she started, a sly smile on her face, "maybe you need to look in the mirror sometime," she teased, toying with the buttons on his shirt.

Merrik cracked a smile. This woman was so charming, and he couldn't help but dip his head down to nuzzle his nose against hers. "I am nothing compared to you, Carmen," he murmured.

She shook her head slightly. "Whatever you say, Merrik," she whispered, leaning into his touch. "Just please... don't stop smiling at me that way."

"Then I guess you'll just have to keep making me smile," he whispered back, inching closer to her mouth. Tilting her head back, he brushed his lips across hers gently, testing. It was the softest kiss, a nibble before taking too big of a bite. He didn't want to push her too far too fast, but the feel of her softness was tempting.

"Mmm," she whimpered involuntarily against his lips as he brushed them.

At the sound of her whimper, Merrik kissed her again, but this time it wasn't so soft—it was full of longing and desperation. He had wanted to kiss her all day, he realized. Now that he had her, he couldn't stop. A small groan escaped his throat as he pressed his lips upon hers for a third time, parting and sucking her bottom lip between his teeth.

Carmen gasped into his mouth and met his passion and longing. She moaned as he brought her lip between his teeth.

The elevator dinged, but this time it didn't stop him. Her moan elicited an electric response in him. He held Carmen against him, kissing her, walking them backward down the short hall to his door. He opened it and practically slammed the door behind them.

She pressed against him as he walked them further into the apartment. "Merrik," she breathed, running her fingers through his hair. Goosebumps rose on his scalp, her fingers bringing him pleasure.